Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm stuck. What would you do?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 2:14 AM
  • 14 Replies
I've been working for a healthcare company as a nurse for two years. It's a good job, I really love my job...but it is a smaller company so sometime the census isn't stable and they have been pushing for a cut in hours. There is a lot of drama that goes on with the management, and I somehow get pulled into the middle of it (I have been there longer than anyone that works on my department, besides the owners). I'm always stuck cleaning up everyone else's mistakes, taking calls when I'm not on call (I have answered the phone from a patient while riding the dumbo ride at disneyland because the actual on call nurse couldn't handle it). I love my patients. I love the flexibility of my job and I am comfortable there.

I get offers from other companies all the time, but I always turn them down because I will only leave a job if I'm moving "up". Well, I got a call from a reputable company and got an offer. They have a stable census, seem to work as a team, only requires ONE on call day a month (and you get a day off during the week when you do work on call that day! It sounds so beautiful. Like a dream. I would consider it moving up, because it's moving from a small 50 patient census company to a 500 patient census company. The benefits are also amazing. The pay rate is a bit higher, though similar.

I know. The answer seems pretty clear. Take the offer! But I am a loyal person and it's not like my current job treats me horribly. The owners have been very accommodating to me, but a lot of their promises have fallen flat. (I tried to leave once before, they raised my pay, promised no on call (didn't happen), and that I would be promoted (didn't happen). This was a year ago).

So, would you stay somewhere that you are comfortable but not completely sure if you are happy. Or take the leap into another job. Change scares me sometimes so I will stay somewhere awful for a long time to avoid it...but I think it's time for me to go. I think? What of it's too good to be true and I end up even more unhappy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3_girls_86
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 2:18 AM
Take the other job
4everJs
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 2:22 AM
That's what I thought. lol

I keep asking my husband what he would do and he just keeps saying "I don't know". I just need a little affirmation that it would be the right thing to do.

Quoting 3_girls_86: Take the other job
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the_lady_vee
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Change is good! Embrace it...that way you wont have to deal with the "what if's".

4everJs
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 2:34 AM
I will try to. It scares me!

Quoting the_lady_vee:

Change is good! Embrace it...that way you wont have to deal with the "what if's".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the_lady_vee
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 2:42 AM

Growth and change come with uncertainty and fear sometimes. Sometimes you just gotta close your eyes and jump right in...the water's fine!

Quoting 4everJs: I will try to. It scares me!
Quoting the_lady_vee:

TWR
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 3:57 AM
I am also a RN and spent 16 years with a smaller company. I stayed due to loyalty and I now regret my decision. I was on-call 24/7/365. I tried to take maternity leave but the nurse who was taking call tracked me down at the hospital after I delivered. Do what is best for you. It sounds like you have given your best to your current company thus you can leave with your head held high.
booaura
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM
Take the other job!
4everJs
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Omg I could so see that happening to me! Two times I took a "vacation" (less than 3 days) they made such a huge deal about it like the world was going to collapse and I was always getting calls, emails, etc the whole time. There is another nurse there that takes a 6 week vacation plus another 3 week vacation YEARLY. I don't know how he does it, plus Ilof course I have to cover all his patients while he's gone. It's insanity.

Quoting TWR: I am also a RN and spent 16 years with a smaller company. I stayed due to loyalty and I now regret my decision. I was on-call 24/7/365. I tried to take maternity leave but the nurse who was taking call tracked me down at the hospital after I delivered. Do what is best for you. It sounds like you have given your best to your current company thus you can leave with your head held high.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmonroe65355
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Take the other job hun. A bigger client pool, higher pay, and less on call days? Really? It seems pretty clear cut.
I get the loyalty to a company you have worked at for a long time. As nice as they may be, they didn't keep their promises. I would try to leave on good terms.

Quoting 4everJs: I've been working for a healthcare company as a nurse for two years. It's a good job, I really love my job...but it is a smaller company so sometime the census isn't stable and they have been pushing for a cut in hours. There is a lot of drama that goes on with the management, and I somehow get pulled into the middle of it (I have been there longer than anyone that works on my department, besides the owners). I'm always stuck cleaning up everyone else's mistakes, taking calls when I'm not on call (I have answered the phone from a patient while riding the dumbo ride at disneyland because the actual on call nurse couldn't handle it). I love my patients. I love the flexibility of my job and I am comfortable there.

I get offers from other companies all the time, but I always turn them down because I will only leave a job if I'm moving "up". Well, I got a call from a reputable company and got an offer. They have a stable census, seem to work as a team, only requires ONE on call day a month (and you get a day off during the week when you do work on call that day! It sounds so beautiful. Like a dream. I would consider it moving up, because it's moving from a small 50 patient census company to a 500 patient census company. The benefits are also amazing. The pay rate is a bit higher, though similar.

I know. The answer seems pretty clear. Take the offer! But I am a loyal person and it's not like my current job treats me horribly. The owners have been very accommodating to me, but a lot of their promises have fallen flat. (I tried to leave once before, they raised my pay, promised no on call (didn't happen), and that I would be promoted (didn't happen). This was a year ago).

So, would you stay somewhere that you are comfortable but not completely sure if you are happy. Or take the leap into another job. Change scares me sometimes so I will stay somewhere awful for a long time to avoid it...but I think it's time for me to go. I think? What of it's too good to be true and I end up even more unhappy?
4everJs
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM
I know the answer is obvious. I just dread giving my two week notice. Every job I've ever had as a nurse, (only 3 in 10 years, I'm not a job hopper) when I gave my 2 week notice it was not accepted and I was asked to "take a day or two to think about it" and then I would end up staying another year or even years. Last time I gave my 2 weeks here, the owner sat me in an office and begged me to stay. It was so awkward, I stayed. They have such a small amount of patients (they are growing, but slowly due to a lot of management flaws), I have half of the ones on my area. I can honestly see them dropping this company if I leave (though they can't follow me, because the company I'm going to is associated with a hospital and you have to be a member there) they refuse to be seen by the other nurses and always tell me "if you left, we'd leave because everyone else is awful". I feel bad putting them in a position where they could lose patients or lose future referrals. I also feel awful leaving my patients!

I will take that job though. It sounds so amazing. It's just going to to be hard.

Quoting jmonroe65355: Take the other job hun. A bigger client pool, higher pay, and less on call days? Really? It seems pretty clear cut.
I get the loyalty to a company you have worked at for a long time. As nice as they may be, they didn't keep their promises. I would try to leave on good terms.

Quoting 4everJs: I've been working for a healthcare company as a nurse for two years. It's a good job, I really love my job...but it is a smaller company so sometime the census isn't stable and they have been pushing for a cut in hours. There is a lot of drama that goes on with the management, and I somehow get pulled into the middle of it (I have been there longer than anyone that works on my department, besides the owners). I'm always stuck cleaning up everyone else's mistakes, taking calls when I'm not on call (I have answered the phone from a patient while riding the dumbo ride at disneyland because the actual on call nurse couldn't handle it). I love my patients. I love the flexibility of my job and I am comfortable there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)