Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do the Boy Scouts get away with this discrimination??

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

The Boy Scouts of America shut down a Seattle troop and pack for refusing to remove an openly homosexual scoutmaster. 

Their policy is that they don't allow open or avowed homosexuals to serve as volunteer adult leaders!

It isn't 1950 anymore!!  How is this allowed in 2014?  It's blantant discrimination! 

I would never let my sons join the Boy Scouts or any place that discriminates and teaches such hate. 

Why would anyone allow their boys to be part of the Boy Scouts knowing this?

http://news.yahoo.com/boy-scouts-shutdown-troop-for-refusing-to-banish-gay-scoutmaster-171244503.html

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lazycamper
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the whole organization is a joke. Too bad they don't take a page from the Girl Scouts.
jomami
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Quoting lazycamper: I think the whole organization is a joke. Too bad they don't take a page from the Girl Scouts.

Exactly!  My daughter was in the Girl Scouts and that was great.  When my son was asked to be in the Boy Scouts with some of his friends, I had to let the other moms know that he wouldn't be joining because we don't support groups that discriminate.  They all acted clueless - like they never watch the news.  Then, they were saying it was different around here where we live, but I told them it's run by the central organization and if they participate they are supporting the hate.  I think some of them were wishing they hadn't already joined.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Bottom line - they have a choice - either comply or shut down

they chose to shut down

That is All.

jomami
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

they chose to shut down

That is All.

We should not accept their 'bottom line' and be forced to comply with their discriminatory rules or shut down. 

As parents, we should put pressure on them to change their rules. 

If the Boy Scouts want to exist in this country, they should stop teaching children to hate and discriminate. 

This is an outrage!  They should be shut down!  I think it's only a matter of time.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM
4 moms liked this

You can't FORCE a volunteer to do what YOU WANT. Give him/her a salary then there is no choice.

As for whether or not "we" should not "accept" their bottom line - there are some people who do not wish to have their children around homosexuals. That's their choice as parents, just like it's your choice to have your children around homosexuals. (Generally speaking, "we" "you" "your").

Quoting jomami:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

they chose to shut down

That is All.

We should not accept their 'bottom line' and be forced to comply with their discriminatory rules or shut down. 

If the Boy Scouts want to exist in this country, they should stop teaching children to hate and discriminate. 

This is an outrage!  They should be shut down!  I think it's only a matter of time.

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I forgot to add, that most of the troop leaders are parent volunteers. It could have been a decision made by not only the troop leader, but the parents of the children in the troop. You can't force the leader to "lead" nor force the parents to have their children participate. It's a choice. Perhaps they shut it down because they lost participating families. Who knows the real reason?

My daughter was in the Girl Scouts. Her troop leader smoked marijuana ( the girls were at her house and when I arrived to pick her up the fresh smell of marijuana was evident). I removed my daughter from that troop.

My child - my choice.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: You can't FORCE a volunteer to do what YOU WANT. Give him/her a salary then there is no choice.As for whether or not "we" should not "accept" their bottom line - there are some people who do not wish to have their children around homosexuals. That's their choice as parents, just like it's your choice to have your children around homosexuals. (Generally speaking, "we" "you" "your").Quoting jomami:
Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:
they chose to shut down
That is All.
lazycamper
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Most actually think there is an affiliation between the Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts. Nope. Two very different organizations.

Quoting jomami:

Quoting lazycamper: I think the whole organization is a joke. Too bad they don't take a page from the Girl Scouts.

Exactly!  My daughter was in the Girl Scouts and that was great.  When my son was asked to be in the Boy Scouts with some of his friends, I had to let the other moms know that he wouldn't be joining because we don't support groups that discriminate.  They all acted clueless - like they never watch the news.  Then, they were saying it was different around here where we live, but I told them it's run by the central organization and if they participate they are supporting the hate.  I think some of them were wishing they hadn't already joined.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM
You're missing the point.

See the forest? Look past the trees.

Quoting lazycamper: Most actually think there is an affiliation between the Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts. Nope. Two very different organizations.

Quoting jomami:

lazycamper
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:45 AM
What? That is a random response. There is no forest for the trees. The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are not affiliated, period. Again, what an odd and off the wall response. Lol

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: You're missing the point.

Quoting lazycamper: Most actually think there is an affiliation between the Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts. Nope. Two very different organizations.

Quoting jomami:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Ok. That's all.

Quoting lazycamper: What? That is a random response. There is no forest for the trees. The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are not affiliated, period. Again, what an odd and off the wall response. Lol

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: You're missing the point.

Quoting jomami:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)