Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do I get my child to stop saying he hates me?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:49 PM
  • 57 Replies
My son will be 6 in June and every time he does not get his way he always says "I hate you mommy" or " I want a different mommy" I does hurt my feelings and ignore it but every time I hear it I feel like I'm doing something wrong as a mother. Any advice to have this stop?
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Samann818
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Explain to him it hurts mommy to hear you say that. The first couple of times he says it again remind him it hurts then ask him to say he is sorry...then if it persists do a time out and make him repeat I will no longer say I hate mommy 10 times...if he keeps doing it after that then take a fav. Toy away and tell him he can have it back after he hasn't said it for a couple of days.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You are not doing anything wrong. This is typical behavior.  Show no reaction at all. If he finds he can get a rise from you he'll continue it. What may work is when he says it to rush over and give him a huge hug and say But I'll always love you! and another huge hug and a big smile on your face the whole time. Don't show upset.

smartmommy1050
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:19 PM

When I was that age and said that to my mom, she pointed out to me that life is full of uncertainty. She asked how I would feel if something happened to her and she died and that was the last thing I ever said to her. I never did it again. 

squeekers
“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”— Richard David Bach (born 1936) Writer
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM
4 moms liked this

my father used to say, "you may not love me, but I'll never stop loving you."

BamaMomto4
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:34 AM
3 moms liked this
With a couple of my kids I told them " that's fine . I still love you." and went about my business. That kind of took the wind out of their sails because they were expecting me to give them/let them do what I had just told them what they couldn't have/do.

Lisa

HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:37 AM
I would explain how you feel and also ban that word. My kids aren't allowed to use that word.
diesel_darling
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Ds9 went through that phase. Every time he would say it, I would tell him that I still love him even if he hates me or its ok, because I still loved him. He eventually grew out of it.
FIREFOX1336
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I told my 5 yr old I don't like him either right now. He didn't like that said I hurt his feelings and II asked him how he thought I felt when he said mean things. I had a friend tell me a pretty good response. " I am your mom,I will always love you. But, I don't have to always like you"
Marie207
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Beat his ass.  You will then tell him "now you have a reason to hate me".  No do not say that , but beat his bad ass.  Kids like that need to be trained to respect their parents and other adults.  Tell the dr. he says that first and make sure your baby is not just seriously unhappy.  Does hea act mad and unhappy all the time or just when he can not get his way? If the later, beat his ass and tell him this "I am nice to you.  I am your mother, and you cannot always have your way, not as a child, not as an adult, so you might as well learn now that life does not float around you.  Tell him later you love him but will not tolerate him saying that to grown ups.

Marie207
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Dont tell him it hurts you, you think he is dumb, he is not at all dumb, he already knows it hurts you, daugh, that's why he is saying it.  Beat his ass, you know a good cout approved whopping, and let him know you mean it.  Demand your respect before he tells you more, and he will, dont stop him now and see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN