Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my son

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM
  • 9 Replies
Okay I need help..my son is 8 and is VERY smart but is also very social ( like I was,) in school. But due to this they are are talking about holding him back...I've tried EVERYTHING, why won't he try!!! And for anyone that suggests medications, just leave...he is not taking those, I will change hos diet if I have to but medication .....NOT HAPPENING!!!!!
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
m0m0f0ne
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM
I've heard cutting gluten out of the diet helps a lot. Also, maybe try some possitive rewarding (you sat and listened to my speech so you get a bottle of bubbles to go crazy with outside). Or maybe see if he can bring more work home to make up for whatever he missed and help him? Besides that, or seeking out a natiralistic therapist, I don't know. Maybe try lavender or other sensory things (like blue to calm, lavender to calm, or teach him to hum low when he is feeling anxious)
funhappymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't blame you on the medication. I would try other things before I do medicines if I can.

I recommend cutting out sugar, artificial colors and flavors and then if you need to go futher cut out dairy and gluten. Keep in mind that things like 'natural flavors' are usually another term for MSG, so avoid that as well. It will take a lot of label reading but it will be worth it.

chaotic.mind
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Does he have ADD/ADHD?
Corasmom43
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Cut back on gluten and dyes as much as possible. That has helped my nephew a lot
mamamiajk
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM

As far as I know if his academics are up to par they can't hold him back on being social. I'd fight that one.

sexylady34
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM
How are his grades?
sexylady34
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
My son acted the same way I mentioned it to pediatrician she said have him tested for dyslexia I did and wow the extra help changed him completely! I don't believe in meds either! But pediatrician said boys are diagnosed dyslexic nite often then girls..do no meds just a pull out class at school for 30 min a day..he graduated high school last year!
holden29
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions!! I will be trying them!!! :-)
maryBlanche
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

If he is keeping up with his grades, I would not hold him back.  I agree with withholding meds and working on his diet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)