Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Did you wear revealing clothing while pregnant?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM
  • 5 Replies

Pregnant Woman Kicked Out of Gym Because Her 'Belly Was Hanging Out'‚Äč

by Suzee Skwiot 

pregnant woman kicked out of gymPlease make sure you're sitting down, because this story will blow your mind. A 31-year-old pregnant woman says she was kicked out of her gym because her "belly was hanging out."

That's right. A mere 10 minutes into her treadmill workout, Melissa Mantor, who is 18 weeks pregnant, was told her midriff-baring top was in violation of the company's dress code. Planet Fitness, which prides itself on its "Judgment Free Zone," encourages people of all sizes and fitness abilities to work out without feeling judged. Unfortunately, the policy also seems to have worked in reverse.

Check out the supposedly offensive attire:

pregnant woman kicked out of gym

See that teeny tiny baby bump under the bottom of her tank top? Yeah, that's what was offensive.

"I was very confused. She continued telling me that my belly was hanging out and I need to get it covered up," Mantor said after the incident. "I told her at that time, 'Of course my belly is hanging out, I am pregnant.'"

This was at the gym, where people dress in raggedy torn sweats or skin-tight yoga leggings. And a small pregnant belly was the most offensive thing they could find? What a travesty!

Pregnant women showing off their growing bellies is nothing to get in a huff about, people. They're not showing their private parts! Bellies are a pretty acceptable part of the body to share with the world -- men and women alike do it every day. And when you're pregnant, it's pretty hard to hide that belly.

If it fits (because let's face it, sooner or later, you'll outgrow those clothes) and is comfortable, who is everyone else to judge a pregnant woman's attire? Granted, maybe you shouldn't be rocking a crop top the week before giving birth, but if you're showing off your belly while it's growing and you're happy, more power to ya! Rock those midriff-baring tops, ladies!

Click here for report from WCIV

Did you wear revealing clothing while pregnant?

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM
The gym she goes to had a strict dress code. She agreed to it when she joined, she needs to stick to it. You don't get special treatment just for being pregnant, and it's not THAT hard to find a shirt that covers you.
ohbabygirl40
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:38 PM

When I was pregnant last year I definitely accentuated the positive (cleavage from fuller breasts!). Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable wearing pants that low on my hips in public whether I was pregnant or not. She looks young and cute, though. So to each their own.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Yeah I agree. She could have worn a t shirt.

Quoting RheaF: The gym she goes to had a strict dress code. She agreed to it when she joined, she needs to stick to it. You don't get special treatment just for being pregnant, and it's not THAT hard to find a shirt that covers you.
TS9509
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM
If it's against the dress code then yes she should've been kicked out, end of discussion. If it was bc of a personal reason from another member then I don't agree with her being kicked out.
jconney80
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM
I don't ever really purposely wear revealing clothing so I didn't when pregnant but I do wear things that accentuate my body type
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)