Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I still can't believe it... its not that serious... smh... or is it?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

Mobile Photo

So today was the pre k registration for next year for public school. The school which my older son is zoned to for next year(he hasnt started there yet cuz we moved in dec so I left him where he was) had sign ups at 8 am. In hisd pre k isnt zoned but I wanted them together.Figured i would get there about 6. 2 hours should be early enough right? Wrong! Turns out people had camped out over night for one of fourty spots! One lady got there at 430 am and didn't make the list. Smdh! My 4 yr old had his heArt set on pk. Well I figured since I had told my boss I was coming in late today anyway I woulf call around. Called six other s chools and got told nope we are full. Finally I figured I would call just one more. Turns out they had just reopened their list and had a few spots. Jumped on the bus and got there just in time to.nab one of the last few spots. Turns out this was an even better school then the first anf they had a dual language (teaching Spanish and English) progrAm starting in prek. Also the principal said he would sign a transfer waiver for.my oldest so he could attend the same school! How awesome! And I didn't even have to camp out! I was mad at first but it worked out even better anywAy. In the end he got his ticket and he couldn't be happier. I still find it amusing people would actually campout just for a pre k.spot. esp when they can go to any school in the district. I dont even have a car myself but the schools do have busses duh lol. Anyways question for yall would any of u camp out just to get a pre k spot? Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy? I don't even think it should be allowed. What do u think? ..... oh and I have to share my cutie with his ticket... hes so excited! Eta: I have my.ba on.education and come from a long line of.teachers. so I do take education seriously. But I also feel like there is a fine line between serious and overboard. There are enough schools and oyher options such as head start and child care assistance for those who cant afford privatepreschool. Just get there a little early. At least give others a fair shot.......
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

People can take it quite seriously especially if it a school they have their minds/hearts set on.   We were not able to afford preschool due to circumstances so we did alot of at home teaching.  DD was ready abc wise and number wise but she was not able to write her letters in kindergarten due to muscle tone delays.   She is in 2nd grade and took a recent sample to her kindergarten teacher to show how much she has progressed this year alone with the right support and a teacher that knows how to motivate her.

JrsMommy07
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Eta 2 (since my phone is being dumb anc not letting me .update original post) im also.not the type to camp.out for anything... thats y.i wanted to hear other opinions.
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
We put or daughter on the wait list for her charter school when she was 8 months old. We moved an hour to be in the town of the charter school so we would be here if she made it. We just found out she did make it for k next year. We didn't make it first round though we had to wait for no shows and then made it. So 4 1/2"years of waiting and moving away to make sure our daughter got in the very best school possible.
JrsMommy07
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 3:48 AM
Bump
JrsMommy07
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:55 AM
Gump
JrsMommy07
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Bump
Mygirl30248
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Things are not like that where I live but I've heard rumors of things like what you experienced. I don't know if I would have camped out, I may have. My daughter is advanced & her first pre k was a waste of time so the following year I put her in a private daycare & they taught her. Now she is in K & she skipped to first grade math. So I may have camped out to give my daughter what I felt was a better education. She likes things like languages, history, geography, etc. None of the schools teach that around here. 

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Some people like camping out for things. Just because YOU don't doesn't mean they shouldn't allow it. I don't see why you are complaining though. You got both your boys into the same school that you say is better anyways. What's the big deal? (Personally I don't like camping out in lines either, but if that's what I have to do for my kids education I would do it in a heartbeat).
bothsidesofcoin
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't camp out for this. Pre-k isn't that big of a deal if you have a good daycare program. I've never heard anyone say that they didn't get into the college they wanted because they didn't get into pre- k.
cox3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM
No, especially for prek.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)