Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you handle Mother's Day?

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM
  • 5 Replies

My husband and i live near my inlaws, and his siblings live here as well.  Every Mother's Day and Father's Day (Christmas, thanksgiving, Easter too) is spent at my inlaws home. Because i live 4-12 hrs from my side of the fam we share thanksgiving and easter with my family, so im not spending EVERY holiday with my inlaws. But, my MIL is quite possessive over holidays. And passive aggresively so...This year us daughter in laws and her daughter want to do something for ourselves, by ourselves or with our kids/hubby's on Mother's Day. So my hubby, his brother and sister all decided they would take their mom out for dinner a few nights prior to actual Mother's Day, so they could be with their families on sunday. My mil came up with an excuse, that it didn't work for her. They then offered to take her to breakfast Saturday. That didnt work for her either. Its her typical MO. anyhow, my question for you mamas is how do you all spend the day, are you off with your kids and hubby or by yourself?  Do you split the day with your mil or mom?  If you dont live near your mom or cant spend it with her, how do you handle the day with your mil?  Do you see her? Does hubby just do somethng with her?  I need some ideas!  Thanks!

by on May. 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2014 at 7:37 PM

We do it with just us or we go over to his ex's to celebrate if grandson is there. Mothers day is one of those holidays we just do with ourselves and not a big family holiday.   You gotta take back the reins if you want things to change.  She can throw a fit if she wants but too bad.

withsecond
by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM
We send my mother in law a card and call her. That's it. She understands that we are an hour and a half away and aren't going to travel to her. She doesn't mind.
We hang out at our place. My siblings usually come over and we take my mother out to eat, because she lives with us.
thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 1, 2014 at 8:48 PM

It's a holiday we only spend together as a family. Only Thanksgiving and Christmas are reserved for extended family (not saying that we don't occasionally do other holidays with them, but they are the exception, not the rule). My family is much too far away (and I'm not close to them anyway) to spend any holiday with them.

I personally would do what you've set out to do. Your MIL needs to realize that there are other people in your life that are just as important to you. If she gets pissed off, she needs to get over it.

ame19
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Right now we are 14 hours away from my parents and only 2-3 hours from my in-laws. Before we would just go out to eat and hang out with my parents since we lived right next door, but this is the first year since they moved away. But my in-laws would come down around Mother's Day and we'd go out and eat or something. This year though my parents are gone and I'm just going to pick up a card with a few things since the in-laws are coming this weekend just in case we don't see each other.

sam12796
by Sandy on May. 1, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I will sleep in since I usually work Sundays and then we will make breakfast as a family. I am sure there will be cards and maybe a gift maybe not. In years past it has gone either way. We have fun and just spend time together. I send cards and gifts to my mom and MIL and then to their great grandmother as well. There will be home made gifts from the kids and current pictures in frames as well. I live near my mom sort of but it is a day for me to spend with DH and kids. My mom wouldn't care if we did something a different day. It is the thought that counts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN