Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mother-in-law feud.. Need advice!!

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
I need advice. My husband's mother doesn't like me for the simple fact my husband is no longer supporting her, HER husband (not his father), and her two kids by her husband. He bought her a car, got her into a duplex PLUS paid their rent a few times. She doesn't like that her "baby boy" has grown into a man and has his own family now. Let me say I have never gave this woman a reason to not like me. If anything, I was always forcing my husband to go see her. Anyways, my Mom found out about how crappy his mom has been to me.. Name calling, threats, not wanting anything to do with our baby, etc... And now MY mom doesn't like my husband! She said he has too much "drama" and as long as I'm with him I'll have to deal with it. Up until now she has loved him. It's heartbreaking that the woman I look up to doesn't approve of the man I love. But I can't deal with her constantly putting him down when in reality he has done nothing wrong but stick up for me and completely cut ties with his Mom. What do I do? I can't get my Mom to come to her senses. My kids have lost one grandma already, I'd hate for them to lose both. But I love my husband and he's a great father figure to my son, and will be a fantastic father to our unborn child. I just need some sort of advice or guidance at this point!
by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on May. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
He needs to tell his mom to knock it the hell off (or cut ties, like you said he did) and you need to do the same with your mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof4kids257
by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:23 AM

she needs to realize the apron string has been severed.. and his life needs to go on.

ABCMomma0211
by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM
First shes your mom, she sees you hurting, so shes gonna hurt and be upset as well, you are her baby.

Secondly your husband needs to put his foot down an be done with it.

My mil is pretty much the same wat, well was....still semi is.

funhappymom
by on May. 2, 2014 at 7:25 AM

How does your mom know about all the drama? Are you discussing things with her? If so, you need to stop. She might be your mom and one of your biggest supporters but she doesn't need to know everything.

As for his mom, let him deal with her. As long as he is sticking up for you and putting you first wha she does/says shouldn't matter.

Good luck.

Supermama13
by on May. 2, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Unfortunately yes, I did go to my Mom for advice. I had no idea she would react the way she did. I've learned not every problem within a marriage should be shared with the outside..

Quoting funhappymom:

How does your mom know about all the drama? Are you discussing things with her? If so, you need to stop. She might be your mom and one of your biggest supporters but she doesn't need to know everything.

As for his mom, let him deal with her. As long as he is sticking up for you and putting you first wha she does/says shouldn't matter.

Good luck.

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM

This exactly.  

One thing I 've learned from my past relationships is that you don't discuss relationship drama with anyone (especially parents).  They will only hear your side of the drama (and obviously they will take your side) and they will start to have a negative attitude towards your partner.  And that's when everything will start to get really uncomfortable.

Quoting funhappymom:

Good luck.

Supermama13
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Well my Mom told me she was no longer my Mom and that she isn't coming around anymore. So she has cut her own ties with me.

Quoting LDavis33:

This exactly.  

One thing I 've learned from my past relationships is that you don't discuss relationship drama with anyone (especially parents).  They will only hear your side of the drama (and obviously they will take your side) and they will start to have a negative attitude towards your partner.  And that's when everything will start to get really uncomfortable.

Quoting funhappymom:

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)