Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Being held hostage by a skunk UPDATE IN REPLIES Apparently I should just drown it?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM
  • 9 Replies

Two days ago my DH, his godfather and DS4 were outside when they saw a skunk in the backyard.  It ran under between some outbuildings and hid under some scrap wood.  That night DH and a friend went skunk hunting.  They checked in the same spot and sure enough, there it was.  DH got his shotgun but it was gone (or possibly just further back where they couldn't see it) when they went back.  He set a live trap, using peanut butter and marshmallows for bait (I told him he was probably more likely to catch our four year old with that bait than a skunk).  But no skunk, not that night and not last night.

DH is convinced that it's den is under that pile of scrap wood, and that it probably has babies.  So now I can't let my dogs out to wander, I have to take them out on leash to do their business.  And I'm nervous to take the kiddos outside to play.  The absolute last thing I need is to have a pet/kid/myself sprayed.  

I'm gonna call our local wildlife office today and hopefully they can send someone out to have a look, maybe set an extra trap or two.

In the meantime we are basically hostages in our own home...

If I can't get someone from our wildlife office out here, does anyone have any suggestions on how to trap a skunk.  I think I'll be changing the bait out tonight to wet cat food. 

by on May. 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LDavis33
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG.  I just got off of the phone with our local wildlife office.  Apparently they don't deal with skunks as they are considered a rodent and are not a protected species and are not a fur-bearing trapping animal.  Anyhow, that annoyed me because now I have to find a pest control service in my area (which won't be easy considering how rural we are). 

What really gets me is this.  The wildlife officer asked me if I was planning on relocating it.  I told her that if I could I would, but if I can't then I would probably have to get my neighbor to come over and shoot it for me.  She told me that if that didn't work out, I could always drown it!  WTF?!?!?!  I told her that is just cruel, and she said that "it only takes about 10 minutes".  Yeah, 10 minutes of torture for the poor animal. I just want it out of my yard, I really don't want it dead (especially if it has babies) but even if my only option is to kill it (which is a last resort BTW) I will NEVER EVER EVER drown an animal. This is a government organization dedicated to the conversation and protection of our wildlife and they are advocating cruelty to animals!  I'm so pissed right now!

LDavis33
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 6:17 PM

bump bump

ame19
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Yeah you'll probably just have to call some kind of pest control place. If not and you want to trap him yourself look online for ways to catch him safely, like what kind of bait to use and what to do if a person or a pet gets sprayed. We use to catch them all the time in our blackberry patches and even in our chicken coops. One time before school my brother had caught one and wanted to shoot before we left. He covered it in a tarp so he wouldn't get sprayed, but as soon as he lifted his gun and was about to pull the trigger the wind knocked the tarp and he got sprayed anyway. So both did not end up well at the end. Everything smelled like skunk for like a week and my brother was bathing in tomato juice for a day or two. Skunk is actually not that hard to get off of pets or yourself. Our dogs and our friends dogs loved chasing skunks for some reason and got sprayed by them all the time. It definitely stinks, but it's not as bad as people would actually think. 

schatzi869
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM
We have a skunk that lives somewhere by our garage. Doesn't bother us. Leave it alone.
LDavis33
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I called a pest control company and they want $250 to trap and relocate it.  So I called a wildlife rehabilitation centre and they gave me a list of things that I can do to "evict" the skunk.  Like soaking rags in bleach and laying them around the entrance to the den, shining a floodlight on the entrance and turning on a radio. The mixture of smells, light and noise should force it to move on.  

Quoting ame19:

Yeah you'll probably just have to call some kind of pest control place. If not and you want to trap him yourself look online for ways to catch him safely, like what kind of bait to use and what to do if a person or a pet gets sprayed. We use to catch them all the time in our blackberry patches and even in our chicken coops. One time before school my brother had caught one and wanted to shoot before we left. He covered it in a tarp so he wouldn't get sprayed, but as soon as he lifted his gun and was about to pull the trigger the wind knocked the tarp and he got sprayed anyway. So both did not end up well at the end. Everything smelled like skunk for like a week and my brother was bathing in tomato juice for a day or two. Skunk is actually not that hard to get off of pets or yourself. Our dogs and our friends dogs loved chasing skunks for some reason and got sprayed by them all the time. It definitely stinks, but it's not as bad as people would actually think. 

LDavis33
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I have no problem leaving it alone.  However, my dogs have a different attitude about it.  Not to mention that its den is about 15 feet from my son's sandbox and its underneath my garden shed so it's a pretty high traffic area.

Quoting schatzi869: We have a skunk that lives somewhere by our garage. Doesn't bother us. Leave it alone.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Oh my. I agree with you that drowning it is cruel. :(

LDavis33
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I was shocked that she suggested that as a solution.  I could never do that to a living creature or have any part in something that cruel.  I'd rather get sprayed.

Quoting Bmat:

Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

It is shocking. :(  

Quoting LDavis33:

I was shocked that she suggested that as a solution.  I could never do that to a living creature or have any part in something that cruel.  I'd rather get sprayed.

Quoting Bmat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)