Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Be honest - Do you judge people on food stamps?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM
  • 330 Replies
2 moms liked this

When you're at the grocery store and you see someone paying with food stamps do you judge them?  Do you look at the items in their shopping cart and think to yourself how they should be buying better foods that are both healthier and will make their benefits last longer?  Do you get angry or feel as if they are taking advantage of you or the government?

I was reading this article and it just made me wonder... Do I judge people on food stamps?  Do you?

This Onion Article Perfectly Illustrates Why No One Should Judge A Person On Food Stamps

by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Malayahsmom06
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM
3 moms liked this
No. I've been in their shoes. Then I went to school and make enough to not need assistance.
LucidDreamer90
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I only judge the one's that miss use it. Like to by junk food and energy drinks.

I know a few guys that call them "Nos Stamps" because they basically use it just for free energy drinks and junk food... it's not funny or clever...
booaura
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM
3 moms liked this
Not in general, no. Those that don't work and buy nothing but crap, or the women on wic who don't use birth control and continue to have kids they can't afford, yes.I also think they need to be regulated better, like wic, with certain foods being off limits and checks being given for approved foods, not a mostly free for all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM
6 moms liked this
No, because I have been on them before when I was a single mom. It sucked and I always worried about being judged. I think the hardest part is that when you're paying for your own and you want to buy a candy bar, its totally fine. When you're on food stamps, it's like people think you're killing a child to get the candy bar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ABCMomma0211
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM
5 moms liked this
Too bad you cant buy energy drinks with food stamps

Quoting LucidDreamer90: I only judge the one's that miss use it. Like to by junk food and energy drinks.

I know a few guys that call them "Nos Stamps" because they basically use it just for free energy drinks and junk food... it's not funny or clever...
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm never close enough to see how anybody is paying for the food they have in their cart. I don't really care.

No I don't judge people for being on welfare.

ABCMomma0211
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM
17 moms liked this
No because im on them.

And i dont care if you dont like im buying a dr pepper and chocolate with my ebt....none of your business!!!!

Some woman was behind me a few weeks ago judging me for being on wic and said

"Well shouldnt you have thought about that before you had twins that you couldnt afford."

I rolled my eyes and said

"I can afford them, but one has extereme acid reflux, and goes through formula like its out of style. You know nothing about my life, and because you have lixury of living off what your husband gives you doesnt mean you need to be a bitch."
LucidDreamer90
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Yes you can, as long as it says nutrition value, you can. Nos is an energy drink you can get with them. I believe you can also get Amp? Im not sure tho..

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Too bad you cant buy energy drinks with food stamps

Quoting LucidDreamer90: I only judge the one's that miss use it. Like to by junk food and energy drinks.

ABCMomma0211
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats my question.....

Why is someone that close to me?

Quoting DanaG70:

I'm never close enough to see how anybody is paying for the food they have in their cart. I don't really care.

No I don't judge people for being on welfare.

Trevorsmommy1
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM
6 moms liked this

I used to a little bit, but we have been so close to applying for food stamps ourselves already that i have learned not to judge people, i m so glad theres something out there for people who need it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN