Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Central sleep apnea

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
Anyone have a child with central sleep apnea? My daughter had a sleep study and it showed over 20 obstructive sleep apnea events and almost 20 central sleep apnea events. She had tonsils and adenoids out and will have a repeat sleep study in a few months. The snoring has stopped and she isn't waking at night like she used to. I am just wondering if the central apnea will be resolved if the obstructive apnea is resolved. To me they are not the same or caused the same way but the doctors never mentioned the central events like they were a big deal. I thought she stopped breathing the other night once (that I saw because I was awake) and I am now afraid she will still have a problem.
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM
No,no experience. Sorry.
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM

DS had moderate.  His sleep study showed that his breathing stopped upto 6 times a night.

He had a tonsilectomy and adenectomy and he was like a new kid.  That was 6 years ago.

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I'm not familiar with the term central sleep apnea.

funhappymom
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I am sorry. I have no experience with apnea though I do have a few family members that were diagnosed later in life with it. How old is your daughter?

Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM

From what I read about central sleep apnea, they may be focusing on obstructive sleep apnea first to try to solve this. I suspect that after they feel the obstructive is resolved and further tests run to find out if there is still central, then they'll focus on the central. Next time you go be sure to express your concerns.

Love2foster2009
by New Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM
She is three. I have definitely seen a huge improvement in her sleep after the surgery. I had high hopes it would significantly improve her behavior but not so much. I was just nervous the other night when I couldn't tell whether or not she was breathing.

Quoting funhappymom:

I am sorry. I have no experience with apnea though I do have a few family members that were diagnosed later in life with it. How old is your daughter?

funhappymom
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM

That has to be so scary. I'm glad that her sleep is improving. The behavior could take some time. Hang in there.

Quoting Love2foster2009: She is three. I have definitely seen a huge improvement in her sleep after the surgery. I had high hopes it would significantly improve her behavior but not so much. I was just nervous the other night when I couldn't tell whether or not she was breathing.
Quoting funhappymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN