Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ways to conserve water?!

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ladies, I need help. I live in the midwest, and we are experiencing a major drought. Our rainfall has been less than half of what it should be for 4 years now. Farmers and ranches are failing left and right, wildfires are at an all-time high...everybody's feeling the hurt. Not only that, but two of our city wells have stopped working. (Perfect timing, right? smh)

Our city has put out a water conservation notice. They said that we can't water our lawns during peak hours - only from 7pm to 10am, and they asked that everyone limit the amount of water they use on their lawns.

They also said to conserve water indoors as much as possible. I've never had to deal with something like this...what are some ways to conserve water? Here are the things we already do:

The kids bathe together to save bath water. (I have two young dd's, nothing weird there.)

I bathe instead of showering, and I use as little water as possible to do it. SO has started doing the same. (He used to be the marathon shower guy; 20-30 minutes per shower!)

I only run the washer when I have a full load. Same goes for the dishwasher.

When we brush our teeth, we fill a small cup halfway full with water. We use that one cup to wet and rinse our toothbrushes, and to rinse our mouths. My daughter used to brush her teeth and leave the faucet on the whole time - so I know we're saving water there.

Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

by on May. 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM

We have a tub in the kitchen sink for any running water. We then use that water for watering houseplants and the front gardens. We also used to catch rain and swamp cooler run off in a trough on our patio. Used that for the gardens too.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Well,  When it's yellow, let it mellow. When it's brown, flush it down.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I use a gallon jug to catch water while waiting for it to get hot enough, I use the saved water in the laundry.

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bmat:

Well,  When it's yellow, let it mellow. When it's brown, flush it down.

Oh, that's a good one, forgot about that. Although it may be tricky for us...I have a toddler that sticks her hands in the toilet any chance she gets. We'll have to be super vigilant about keeping the bathroom door shut!

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bmat:

I use a gallon jug to catch water while waiting for it to get hot enough, I use the saved water in the laundry.

Oh that's a good one, too! So much water goes down the drain while we're waiting for it to warm up. Never even thought about that!

Molimomma
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Do you have a low flow toilet? If not, if it is a regular toilet you can put a brick in the tank to raise the water level and use less water for each flush. That's an old trick. You can also buy low flow shower heads but I have no idea what their cost is. I know the problem is lack of rain but you can get(or make) a rain barrel to catch any water you do get. You can then connect a hose to it a use that to water the lawn, plants, etc.

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Quoting Molimomma:

Do you have a low flow toilet? If not, if it is a regular toilet you can put a brick in the tank to raise the water level and use less water for each flush. That's an old trick. You can also buy low flow shower heads but I have no idea what their cost is. I know the problem is lack of rain but you can get(or make) a rain barrel to catch any water you do get. You can then connect a hose to it a use that to water the lawn, plants, etc.

I'll try the brick thing, thanks! As far as collecting rain water...there's nothing to collect. So far this year, we have received less than 1.5 inches of rain. That's from January to now. The whole reason we're in this mess is because of the extreme lack of moisture.

momasaurus420
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM
You can save water by showering.
Wet your hair, turn it off when you shampoo.

Bathe every other day. Create a schedule.

If using water to boil pasta, eggs etc or make coffee...plants love this water.

Use plastic soda bottles in the tank of the toilet, full them up with water. It will use less water to fill the toilet back up.
Also flush a little as possible.

Fix any leaky faucets.

Keep a bucket of bleach/hydrogen peroxide with parts water to be used for cleaning, wiping down counters and change when needed. Or use Clorox wipes.

Water yard 30min

Buy bottled water for drinking. Well be easier to monitor.

You can even use a drum to collect water when it does rain and use that to water your yard/garden.
Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on May. 9, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Here's a post that I made last year as part of a Earth Day / water conservation challenge:

Go Green: Conserve Water!

There are some tips in the post and a lot of tips from members in the replies!

Hope you get some rain soon!

umbrella

Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM

If you haven't already, and depending on your tub and shower set up- you can do this is the shower head is located above the tub. Close the drain on the tub and then shower conservatively- as momasaurus suggested above- wet your hair put the shampoo on, rinse, put the conditioner on, rinse and wet your skin, soap up, rinse- turning off the water between each step. I have read that showering uses less water than a bath, and I would think that a conservative shower would use even less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN