Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

could use some advice please

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:20 PM
  • 9 Replies
So my youngest son is 5. He is very smart. He is on the same reading and math level as my 8 year old. I have noticed over the past year he has had trouble staying focused. Hes very hyper at times. Cant sit still for very long. I can tell him something over and over and over and it seems to go in one ear and out the other. When trying to talk to him he looks through you not at you. He struggles to put shoes on the right feet unless they are the strap kind. He doesnt slow down to pay attention with the little stuff. We are still having 2-3 nites a week he wets the bed. When hes given candy or fruit snacks that are multi colored he will seperate them by color everytime. I have a session set up with a counsler to see if this is add, adhd, or something more. I dont want to just turn to meds but I do want to make sure if something is going on, and how to deal with it in a different way. My fiance bavks me on this as well as my family and friends. The problem is his father. My ex-husband. He says im over reacting and this will only make our son feel singled out and make things worse. That there is nothing wrong with him im just over reacting. All I want is whats best for my son, but its tearng me up to have to fight with his father over this. I just dont know what to say to him anymore.
by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lmtaylor19
by New Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
You may need to have him checked for aspergers syndrome. My brother has it and your son seems to have most of the same signs. Kids with this syndrome are extremely smart, but have a lot of trouble with understanding others emotions and what they want them to do. They also have trouble with eye contact and usually know many facts about anything. As for your sons father, you are the mother and would know what is best for your son. You should do whatever you feel like doing in order to help your son. I hope that everything goes well and that you can figure something out.
lmtaylor19
You may need to have him checked for aspergers syndrome. My brother has it and your son seems to have most of the same signs. Kids with this syndrome are extremely smart, but have a lot of trouble with understanding others emotions and what they want them to do. They also have trouble with eye contact and usually know many facts about anything. As for your sons father, you are the mother and would know what is best for your son. You should do whatever you feel like doing in order to help your son. I hope that everything goes well and that you can figure something out.
lmtaylor19
angel_wgn
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM
My fiances youngest son has aspergers syndrome and thats what he says too. Thank you. Feels good to have support.
jconney80
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Hi I'm sorry you're going through this. This sounds a lot like an autism spectrum disorder. I have 3 kids who are very bright and very smart but act the same way. I would ask to see a neuropsychologist to do neuropsych testing. We went to a regular psychologist for years for my oldest daughter and they misdiagnosed her with OCD, ADHD, ODD, and bipolar. She really has autism and it can look like any combo of the things above. The reason I said that is how your son sorts colors. My daughter does that too. Anyways, we finally got the right diagnosis for my daughter at 10.5 years old and it was PDD-NOS, which is an autism spectrum disorder. She's an awesome reader too. The thing is regular psychologists and pediatricians don't know really anything about autism at all. They tend to think only kids who are very textbook and nonverbal are autistic. That is very far from the truth!! Also neuropsychological testing will show how his brain works and it's not objective like just observing a child and checking off a checklist (which is how they diagnose ADHD). Does your son have sensory issues? Hates scratchy clothing, loud noises, constantly touches things, crashing into things, picky eater, doesn't or didn't like water, obsessed with watching water, etc etc?
angel_wgn
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM
He doesnt seem to have sensory issues. That hasnt been an issue. Thank you for your info. This helps alot.
christina122952
by on May. 10, 2014 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Get him test for the syndrome
angel_wgn
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I hope you all know how happy I am to have a support system of other moms. My ex hasn't made things easy for me and my kids.
angel_wgn
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I don't have family here. My family is 1500 miles away, my mom and sister are both passed on. So it's been hard when I need advice. Never sure where to turn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)