Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How I Save Hundreds of Dollars by Not Going to a Consignment Shop

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

Once upon a time I thought that it was a grand idea to save myself hundreds of dollars by selling the used items my children no longer needed to local consignment shops, until one day I realized I was ripping myself off. With the glory of being able to resale your used items yourself online, you have the ability to make more money from your used items and in some cases, triple your money that would you get from selling those items to a resale store.

Over the years I have tried out of curiosity time and again to sell my children's gently used items for either cash or store credit. It is true, that many resale stores such as Once Upon A Child and Plato's Closet do give you more store credit for your items than if you were to ask cash. As a matter of fact, many stores like those just mentioned don't give you cash at all anymore. They just prefer to give you the credit.

I learned the stores give you store credit mainly for two reasons, one they are overstocked on their items and this helps them get the shift going of moving items in and out of the store. Two, this prevents you from shopping for items you need anywhere but they're own store. Tricky and smart indeed.

However, when I take items into a store that is worth at least twenty dollars by selling it myself on Ebay and Once Upon A Child is only willing to give me three dollars in store credit for the item, it just doesn't seem worth the hassle. Not to mention the eight dollars in gas it took me to get the to store and back so they could tell me if they would accept the items for resale.

Once the light bulb struck with radiance over my head, I realized I was actually bringing in more money (twenty to thirty dollars for some items) that the resale stores were only wanting to.. To Finish Reading Click Here

What are your thoughts on consignment shopping? How do you get the most out of your children's old clothes and items? I want to know your thoughts!

credit card

by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jconney80
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard of them giving store credit at OUAC or Platos Closet but I sell my used kids items on Facebook or Craigslist and make a lot more. We do have a small privately owned consignment shop that gives you more store credit than they would give you money but I only sell things to them that I can't sell online.
bmwmommy
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM

They do, but it's very little and the stores in my area of Ohio are so overstocked, that they need to be very selective about what they purchase for resale. Also, they're prices almost match that of Walmart (which sells brand new items) so it's best to shop the consignment shops during sale and clearance days.

chaotic.mind
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't sell the boys stuff, I donated it.
Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here. I passed their clothes along or donated them, and others shared their outgrown clothes with us.

Quoting chaotic.mind: I didn't sell the boys stuff, I donated it.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I usually donate. Sometimes I sell it at Plato's or Runway. I never take their store credit they just want you to put back into the store by purchasing from them. Its a win, wim from them. Duh! LOL
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I don't need to make money on my kids' clothes. We donate everything or pass it along.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM
I haven't dealt with Once Upon A Child in many years. I use to take baby equipment there. My son's good jeans(of they survived?) He gives to his little god brother.
ame19
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Us too. I've never sold any of our clothes and same with my family. I just donate them or send them to family members in the Philippines. There are a lot of families in need. Plus I want to get rid of them at once and not have them laying around waiting for people to purchase items for a buck or 2.

Quoting Bmat:

Same here. I passed their clothes along or donated them, and others shared their outgrown clothes with us.

Quoting chaotic.mind: I didn't sell the boys stuff, I donated it.

thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 13, 2014 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I usually donate as well. I don't feel like I'm going to get what the clothes are worth, so I'd rather just give them to friends or family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN