Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does your kid's school still have field day?

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 4:11 PM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

Every year just before the end of school, the school hosts a field day with sporting event competitions where all the elementary students participate for a chance to win ribbons or trophies. My daughter's in 8th grade this year so it's her last year to join in the fun of this, but she says it's not going to be fun at all, really, amounting to little more than a big party rather than a competitive event. She also said the teachers are giving ribbons to everyone who shows up, rather than awarding any winners for things. So I'm probably going to let her just stay home since she has no interest in playing on the inflatable (especially after the recent accident where kids were carried up into the air by one and dropped out several feet from the ground!), or on the water slide they say they're going to have.

Does your kid's school still have a field day? If so, is it still a competitive type thing or is it more of an overdone playdate?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on May. 14, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think ours is just for fun different summer sports.  I remember having one in 8th grade and whomever did not want to participate just sat around hanging out with their friends and getting yearbook signed.  DD is in 2nd grade so they still focus on everyone being active.   

KME3
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Field day for grades k-5 only. It's just a big party with water play and popsicles and snow cones.
chaotic.mind
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

They do and they give ribbons to everyone. It's more just for fun and for the kids to be active and play together in teams. 

MsC.
by on May. 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM
They do. I'm not sure how it is this is their first year at this school
Borntoride123
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

My kids middle and elementary have field day. They have it next week since school is out the 23rd.

emelymac
by Emely on May. 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

They still have one at the elementary level, but it's not a competition. They don't even get ribbons anymore. It's just for fun.

lenashark
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Yes, they have field day. They don't get trophies and ribbons, its never been like that, including when I was in school. They have relay races and games, tug of war, etc. They also have a water slide and bounce house. They also have a bbq. The inflatable that was carried away was a tiny back yard one that wasn't anchored, it wasn't one of the big professional ones.

ljmom24
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Oldest ds school did it for the first time last year but not sure if there were ribbons. Youngest ds school has one but it's not for kindergartener's so not sure. We only had the 6th grade Olympics and they have 1st, 2nd, 3rd and participation ribbons and that was decades ago. Think the ones they do here are more about the kids getting to play outside and have fun. My oldest also takes part in the special Olympics and they had that last week. Everyone gets a medal. They go 3 up in each event so there is always a gold silver and bronze. I'm not a fan of everyone gets a trophy but that's more about building confidence and letting every kid regardless of ability play.
spunky946
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM

They have one.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on May. 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Yes we do! No ribbons or anything, but tons of fun and they get popsicles after :) I ran the water balloon toss last year!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN