Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

11 yr old with ADHA/ODD HELP!!

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am at the end of my rope with my grandson, who is 11, and thinks he knows it all. He has ADHD and ODD, and its out of control. He is on Concerta in the morning, and prozac in the afternoon, neither seem to be working. I am going to his Dr tomorrow to raise his concerta. My husband is 71 and I just retired due to my health. Any suggestions, I think we have tried them all.

by on May. 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM
My son 13 is also ADD/ADHD. He was on vyvance and prozac as well. My son has to be on a schedule if he gets thrown off it its a total nightmare. We have his schedule typed out hanging on his wall on a bright colored paper sp he can rwad it daily. Its helped tremendously. We recently took him off all meds tho im so glad we did. He has done better without the meds then on them. He is gaining weight and growing. Good luck im sure its hard.
gavs4boys
by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM

H emight need something other than Concerta.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Hi has he ever been evaluated for an autism spectrum disorder? I have an 11 year old who was originally misdiagnosed with ADHD and ODD as well as OCD. She was finally diagnosed with PDD-NOS (An autism spectrum disorder) at 10.5 years old. She is very visual. Everything has to be planned and we have to have a schedule. She is very stubborn and thinks she knows everything too. And if it's something that she doesn't understand then she won't listen to you that she is wrong. After we really realized what the issue was we were more able to understand her and what is going on. Diet changes and occupational therapy has been very helpful for her too. ADHD meds did NOTHING for her at all. We tried so many. I'm sorry that you're struggling!

spitfire06
by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM
These ladies advice is awesome..I just want to add in to make sure you take care of yourself
doreen53
by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I think I could deal with the ADHD but the ODD is a killer. He is so angry, and I am at the point that I literally am done, physically, and mentally. My husband is scared for me, and actually, so am I.

doreen53
by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Thank you all for the advise, I wish you could walk in my shoes for 1 week, I think you might change your mind. Along with the ADHD/ODD, I think he suffers from PTSD. I don't know what happened before we got him, but by his actions, it wasn't pretty. Now we have to clean up the mess they left behind. I don't think any Dr or Psych will get thru, if they do, God help us all!!!

okpondlady
by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:47 AM

My daughter uses the Daytrona patch and it is great!!!

I don't know what to tell you, good luck.  We have gone through all sorts of ADHD crap with my two DD's.   Older one is 21 and in college but still having attention problems and won't get treatment.  Younger one is doing great in HS for now. 

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN