Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should I give my teen an allowance?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM
  • 32 Replies

My son's 13 and we've never done an allowance system before because he never had a need for any money of his own. He's now doing more things and going more places, however, and I think it's time to help him earn some walking around money.

Should I give him an allowance? If so, how much is an appropriate amount for his age?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nyk1187
by on May. 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM
I think an allowance is appropriate if he does chores to earn it. It's a good way to teach him the value of money and prepare him for college someday. I have no idea what the going allowance rate is these days. I guess a big factor is what you think certain tasks are worth and what you can afford.
Hottmomma607
SOA tonight!!
24 minutes ago
by Trica on May. 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Depends on you. We give $10 every two weeks to our kids. They save it,spend it on whatever they want.

PeachQuean
by on May. 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM
What about a job????

My dd has had one since she was 7 and still does it now at 12. She just keeps adding streets on to her deliveries as she gets older. Lol

She brings in a good 300 a month alone.
My 6 yr old will start at 7 too.

My girls get allowance as well. $30 a week.
Caramel824
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM
I give my son whose 16 30-40 dollars,I know his video. Games are costly!!!
xWonderWomanx
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM

He does odd jobs around the house including helping with dishes, laundry, and other inside chores, and has just started mowing the lawn and doing other outside chores, too. That's another reason I've been thinking of an allowance, but I have no idea how much or how often.

Quoting Nyk1187: I think an allowance is appropriate if he does chores to earn it. It's a good way to teach him the value of money and prepare him for college someday. I have no idea what the going allowance rate is these days. I guess a big factor is what you think certain tasks are worth and what you can afford.

xWonderWomanx
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM

That sounds like a good plan.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Depends on you. We give $10 every two weeks to our kids. They save it,spend it on whatever they want.

xWonderWomanx
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I guess he could get a job? Sounds like yours has a paper route? There's no delivery like that for him to do without my driving him around because we're in a rural area. I don't know what else he could do.

Quoting PeachQuean: What about a job???? My dd has had one since she was 7 and still does it now at 12. She just keeps adding streets on to her deliveries as she gets older. Lol She brings in a good 300 a month alone. My 6 yr old will start at 7 too. My girls get allowance as well. $30 a week.

xWonderWomanx
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

$30-40 how often? A month?

Quoting Caramel824: I give my son whose 16 30-40 dollars,I know his video. Games are costly!!!

Hottmomma607
SOA tonight!!
24 minutes ago
by Trica on May. 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM

We think its ok. Then they learn to save it.

Quoting xWonderWomanx:

That sounds like a good plan.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Caramel824
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM
I'd say every two weeks!!!!hey I do my own hair,unless its a holiday.my big head complains about that.he wants sushi,on a foodstamps budget;-0
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)