Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plane ride with a toddler!

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM
  • 8 Replies
So I have my first solo flight with my 14 month old son. Super nervous about it. Any tips or tricks? This isnt his first flight, had one at 4 months and also had help lol.
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I flew solo cross country with my kids when my DS was three and my DD was 11 months. I've flown a bunch of times since that with them. I find that the preparations before the flight have a lot to do with success. Is your flight near nap or bed time? What are you bringing on the plane to keep him busy? Snacks, drinks, stickers, games, etc all are a big help.

ejkdmom
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

When my boy was that age, I went to the dollar store and loaded up on new cheap toys and stuff that I wouldn't let him see. When we were on the plane I would take one out at a time and the thrill of opening a new item and playing with it worked well.  Also, snacks and such.  Usually, I filled up a backpack with stuff (depending on how long the flight was).  I would also get a movie or three or TV shows on your phone/ipad/kindle.

The more you fly with a kid the easier it gets. Good luck.

ShelleyS84
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Thats a great idea! Thanks. I have the whole snack and movie figured out (seeing as food is the key to my childs heart)

Quoting ejkdmom:

When my boy was that age, I went to the dollar store and loaded up on new cheap toys and stuff that I wouldn't let him see. When we were on the plane I would take one out at a time and the thrill of opening a new item and playing with it worked well.  Also, snacks and such.  Usually, I filled up a backpack with stuff (depending on how long the flight was).  I would also get a movie or three or TV shows on your phone/ipad/kindle.

The more you fly with a kid the easier it gets. Good luck.

funhappymom
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I've never flown with kids but it sounds like you got some great ideas. Enjoy your flight!

**Post ANONYMOUSLY on Mom Confessions!**

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

You might need something to help with ears popping. My child was younger and I was told to feed him his bottle when my ears started popping so it wouldn't hurt.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

ShelleyS84
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Yeah, he is off of bottles but we have kept him on the pacifier just for this flight and our up coming one. Althought keeping him on the bottle would have been nice, then maybe he would fall alseep during.

Quoting LancesMom:

You might need something to help with ears popping. My child was younger and I was told to feed him his bottle when my ears started popping so it wouldn't hurt.

ShelleyS84
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM
And to top it off.... the flight is in 4 days and we are now teething and going through a growth spurt. Can you say super cranky!
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Keep snacks toys handy. Maybe keep baby Tylenol for the ear pain? Rub his ears to help relieve the pressure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)