Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

kids and chores

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM
  • 12 Replies
My kids dont have chores per say but everyone once in a while I will ask the older one yo vacuum the living room or unload the dishwasher or dry the dishes I hand wash and put them away. Well when I ask him to do these things its always half ass...he will vacuum but 'miss' the rug that covers most of the room...he will skip drying dishes and attempt to put them away wet...when unloading dishwasher he throws the stuff in the cupboards instead of where it goes so when I need it to cook I can't find it...it gets frustrating that I just throw mu hands up and end up doing it myself because its quicker no argument and I know it will get done right. What do you think is this just letting him win cuz then he doesn't have to do the work or should this be worth the aggravation of making him do it over and over until he gets it right? What do you do with your kids?
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Our kids do everything half ass. Whay do we do? The re do it till its right. Ours are also older. 17, 13, &10. Our 7 yr old helps with what I tell him too. They dont luke but its starting to click n its getting better.
MommyRush
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:41 PM

yea the one i ask to help is 11... i hope it gets better before 17 lol

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Our kids do everything half ass. Whay do we do? The re do it till its right. Ours are also older. 17, 13, &10. Our 7 yr old helps with what I tell him too. They dont luke but its starting to click n its getting better.

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Ive also made a list dont really help tho lol

Quoting MommyRush:

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Our kids do everything half ass. Whay do we do? The re do it till its right. Ours are also older. 17, 13, &10. Our 7 yr old helps with what I tell him too. They dont luke but its starting to click n its getting better.

MommyRush
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM

o yea i tried that...got him a bulletin bored to hang in his room and made a list to hang on it where he got to check things off when he was done with them. Like clean his room done with his homework take out the garbage...simple things. That didnt work he would just mark everything off with out really doing it...

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Ive also made a list dont really help tho lol
Quoting MommyRush:

trosemomof3
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM
I tell mine they can't do anything til it is done the way I would do it! Works most of the time.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Lmao, he would get along great with my 13 yr old ds. He does the same thing. Lol

Quoting MommyRush:

o yea i tried that...got him a bulletin bored to hang in his room and made a list to hang on it where he got to check things off when he was done with them. Like clean his room done with his homework take out the garbage...simple things. That didnt work he would just mark everything off with out really doing it...

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Ive also made a list dont really help tho lol
Quoting MommyRush:

ItsaJOB
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 6:45 AM

I have a 17 yo.  She would do the simple chores I asked her.....after like the 8th time I would say something, but a lot of times she would 'pretend' she didn't hear me and head off to bed.  It resulted in a consequence so the next time she would get it done.  She's almost thru with h.s. now, and her responsibilities are to keep her room and clothes clean.  That's pretty much it.  She's been off and busy most days with sports activities.  I gave up, basically.

A1OnTheRun
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:34 AM

My mom grew up in a traditional Mexican family where the girls had to do all the housework and the boys did outside things and weren't held accountable for chores other than keeping their rooms/beds tidy and other little things. My mother decided to do the same to us but also make my little brother do chores. We were up early on a Saturday and cleaning the house. There was a lot of yelling and crying and frustration on all our parts (especially when my mom didn't crack down on my little brother when he didn't do his chores). Durin the summers, we were meant to clean all the common rooms everyday in addition to doing things like laundry, walking the dog, etc. When my siblings and I did it together, I didn't mind so much. It was only an issue when someone would slack off and we'd all get in trouble.

Fast forward to now, I see that I learned lot because of my mom. I went to college knowing how to cook, do laundry, change a car tire, fix little things around the house, etc. I want my kids to be able to do the same because I know I can't always be there for them physically when they grow. I read an article about teaching little kids to "be your helper". My sister and I have completely embraced this and our young kids (all less than 10) pretty much fight to help us do chores. When they do, we shower our helpers with love and stickers and they see how them helping us really makes us happy. I think that might be better than my mothers approach to just yelling at us and being angry when we didn't do things right.

onethentwins
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Here's how you fix this.  Thank you kids every time they do any chores, and then, the next time you ask them to do it say "honey, vacuum the living room for me and don't forget to do the rug", "honey do the dishes for me and don't forget to dry them."

okpondlady
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Let me tell you a story.  My EX DH would throw all the laundry in the washer and put to much soap in it on purpose... and use hot water.  He PURPOSELY ruined some of my clothes.. I know this because I overheard him on the phone telling his friend he did it on purpose so I wouldn't ASK HIM TO DO IT AGAIN!!!!!  

The moral of this story is... Make him do it till he gets it RIGHT!!!!!!

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)