Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My kids dont have chores per say but everyone once in a while I will ask the older one yo vacuum the living room or unload the dishwasher or dry the dishes I hand wash and put them away. Well when I ask him to do these things its always half ass...he will vacuum but 'miss' the rug that covers most of the room...he will skip drying dishes and attempt to put them away wet...when unloading dishwasher he throws the stuff in the cupboards instead of where it goes so when I need it to cook I can't find it...it gets frustrating that I just throw mu hands up and end up doing it myself because its quicker no argument and I know it will get done right. What do you think is this just letting him win cuz then he doesn't have to do the work or should this be worth the aggravation of making him do it over and over until he gets it right? What do you do with your kids?
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Replies (11-12):
Mom2Boys9501
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Make them do it over and over until it is correct and it it continues they also lose privileges.
libsterdoodle
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I think that my opinion is an unpopular one.  I believe that kids should do chores.  I did a lot of chores when I was a kid and I think that it taught me responsibility and work ethic and I feel that those two traits are sorely lacking in kids today.  I think that the key is to start them off with small, age appropriate tasks.  I used to use a chore chart to start off so that the kids knew who was in charge of what and so that they could receive recognition when the chore was done correctly.  My son is 8, he is in charge of setting the table for dinner, taking out the recycling can when it is full, tidying up the shoes on the rack, tidying up the living room and clearing his own place at the dinner table, including rinsing his plate and putting it into the dishwasher.  My daughter is 9, she is in charge of emptying the trash can when it is full and taking the bag out, stocking up the water bottles in the fridge, she helps to clear the dinner table while I do the dishes and she wipes the table down and sweeps up the floor, tidying up the family room and keeping her bathroom neat and tidy.  She also does a lot to help me with the baby.  As far as making sure that they do a good job instead of half assing it, I used a chart with smiley face magnets and set a goal for the week, if they achieved their goal for the number of magnets then they would "win" a specific reward.  When they were littler that reward was going into mommie prize box and when as they got older, now they want money to spend at the snack shop for the pool or soccer...  Using the prize system has gotten them to really help out and they have learned that things in life have to be earned.  They also know now that if they want something, like a new book, a certain toy, going to the movies, they have to do extra chores to earn the extra money to do it, like helping in the yard, helping with laundry, and that is awesome!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN