Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When Breastfeeding Did You.....

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Have your little one start with the nipping (biting in other words ) or tugging ??? Is there a such thing as getting them to stop ? 

My chopper BKA Isabella

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aslen
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I always unlatched them, set them down for a minute, walked away to cuss, then latched them back on.

I did my best never react in front of them, because a reaction is what they want.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I always just unlatched my daughter and put her down for a few minutes and kept from reacting to it.She didn't do it often once she realized that her meal would walk away.

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I would sternly tell them "NO", unlatch them and walk away for a moment or two. After doing that a few times with each child it ended the problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarmasMomma
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM
I got a nipple shield which helped a lot. She still bites down, but now it doesn't hurt as much and it is much easier to get her off.
MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM
I did the exact opposite as this - making as big of a deal as possible. They may not understand your words, but they do understand facial expressions, tone ect. Your baby probably doesn't realise that they are hurting you.

Quoting Aslen:

I always unlatched them, set them down for a minute, walked away to cuss, then latched them back on.

I did my best never react in front of them, because a reaction is what they want.

MamaJane
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I also detached them. They learn pretty quickly not to bite if they want that yummy stuff :)

Aslen
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Didn't take them more than twice before they realized that the boobs away when they bit.

Making a huge deal out of it, in a lot of cases, tells the child to do it more, because of the reaction.

Quoting MamaBearEH: I did the exact opposite as this - making as big of a deal as possible. They may not understand your words, but they do understand facial expressions, tone ect. Your baby probably doesn't realise that they are hurting you.
Quoting Aslen:

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I guess it depends on the child.  Different methods for all.  I certainly tried the ignore it at first, and that just encouraged even more for us.  I had a our lactation consultant & a few friends recommend this method to me.

Quoting Aslen: Didn't take them more than twice before they realized that the boobs away when they bit. Making a huge deal out of it, in a lot of cases, tells the child to do it more, because of the reaction.
Quoting MamaBearEH: I did the exact opposite as this - making as big of a deal as possible. They may not understand your words, but they do understand facial expressions, tone ect. Your baby probably doesn't realise that they are hurting you.
Quoting Aslen:

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I just finished feeding my 11 month old and he bit the mess out of me and he also has started tugging at the boobs, I have no idea on how to get him to stop but I immediately detach him and feeding time is over as I take it you are done, lol.

He is also the longest one I have breastfed, as my other four as soon as they got teeth I was already in the process of weaning them off.

Good luck, that mess hurt.

She is so adorable, lol.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I am not good at not reacting, a few minutes ago he bit down so hard I yelled out and made him cry. Usually he smiles when I react like it's funny.

I guess I need to work on the not reacting part.

Quoting Aslen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN