Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

2.5yo son with rash (pic)**NEW UPDATE 6/12 - KAWASAKI DISEASE?** **EDIT! NEW PICS IN COMMENTS**

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM
  • 14 Replies

Mobile Photo

(This picture is from yesterday, I'll try get a better one, it's gotten much worse) Yesterday, my son woke up from his nap, his left eyelid (both top and bottom) were red and puffy, after about 20 mins the redness spread to hours noise, then upper lip, then his chin... about a half hour after that it was on the back of his neck. And he had a little bit of a fever, 101.2 I called his pedi and they said it was probably an allergic reaction to something that came in contact with his skin, give him dine benadryl and he'll be fine. He was acting fine so I wasn't super worried. Although, a little nervous so he slept in my bed last night. Today, this rash covers every inch of his skin, other than his diaper area. I brought him to the doctor and they said it's just a virus. He has a temp of 103 at this very moment.. I really hate when they tell me they don't know what is causing this our how long it will last.. but this fever is more concerning to me than the rash right now... what do you guys think this could be? And before you ask, no we haven't changed laundry detergent, and the one we use is hypoallergenic.. He hasn't eaten anything different or gone anywhere different... nothing...

***UPDATE***

I brought him to the ER last night, and after being sent home from his pediatrician twice, I'm very upset to find out that he may possibly have Kawasaki Disease. I'm going to be taking him to Boston Children's Hospital today, which is an hour and a half away from me.... But they are the only place that can help. Just wanted to give an update

by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Dude bring him to the er and keep up updated. That looks really scary!
RalphsMommy123
by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Maybe go to a different ER? If you feel that what they told you isnt enough, go to someone elae.
momofthree3708
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM
I'm not looking for people to tell me what to do... I'm not a first time mom, this ain't my first rodeo... I have already bright him to his pedi today when he looked much worse than that picture and they aren't all that worried, they say it's a virus, likely in the same family as chicken pox, so I'm not asking for you to tell me what to do, I'm not here for people to tell me I'm a bad mom for doing what I'm doing, I'm following the advice of his doctor that I trust...I'm asking for thoughts on what this could be... looking for someone who has gone through something similar. If I thought he was in danger I would bring him to the ER. I'm watching him closely.
Love2foster2009
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:31 PM
My first thought with a rash and a high temp is strep because that is what happened to a couple of my kids. One of them always had a crazy rash covering his entire body including his bottom. The other just had a pepper like rash. So same illness with two completely looking rashes. My daughter did get a rash when she had three viruses - adenovirus, enterovirus and rsv although I don't know which caused the rash. But that rash was only on her stomach. My niece had fifths disease once but I don't remember her rash. Sorry that is all I know about rashes.
Banana.Time
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM
So my DD who is 6 just had a fever, sore throat, and then a rash broke out. They said it was hand, foot, mouth disease. But the thing is it was on her nose, ears, and around her eyes as well. It was more like blisters though. I wonder if something really bad is going around. Even though its scary the rash might really just have to run its course. The fever is scary though. Maybe strep or tonsillitis? Is he complaining of sore throat?
momofthree3708
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Thanks! They checked his mouth and throat, and everything looked normal, no rev redness or swelling. Fiths disease is usually on the cheeks, they say out looks like you were slapped in the face, if you look up pics of it, my son's rash is actually the opposite of it lol but thanks, my money is on it just being a virus, I just hate viruses because there is nothing you can do for them and I hate when my babies are miserable :( It makes me feel so helpless

Quoting Love2foster2009: My first thought with a rash and a high temp is strep because that is what happened to a couple of my kids. One of them always had a crazy rash covering his entire body including his bottom. The other just had a pepper like rash. So same illness with two completely looking rashes. My daughter did get a rash when she had three viruses - adenovirus, enterovirus and rsv although I don't know which caused the rash. But that rash was only on her stomach. My niece had fifths disease once but I don't remember her rash. Sorry that is all I know about rashes.
momofthree3708
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Nope, no sore throat... his mouth and throat look just fine

Quoting Banana.Time: So my DD who is 6 just had a fever, sore throat, and then a rash broke out. They said it was hand, foot, mouth disease. But the thing is it was on her nose, ears, and around her eyes as well. It was more like blisters though. I wonder if something really bad is going around. Even though its scary the rash might really just have to run its course. The fever is scary though. Maybe strep or tonsillitis? Is he complaining of sore throat?
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Blood work? Cbc?

Banana.Time
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Crazy. I hate when this stuff happens. Poor guy. Hope he feels better soon.

Quoting momofthree3708: Nope, no sore throat... his mouth and throat look just fine

Quoting Banana.Time: So my DD who is 6 just had a fever, sore throat, and then a rash broke out. They said it was hand, foot, mouth disease. But the thing is it was on her nose, ears, and around her eyes as well. It was more like blisters though. I wonder if something really bad is going around. Even though its scary the rash might really just have to run its course. The fever is scary though. Maybe strep or tonsillitis? Is he complaining of sore throat?
Love2foster2009
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:42 PM
I hate viruses too. I want to 'fix' my kids - not wait for them to get better from an unknown virus. I took my one year old to the doctor today and the doctor checked him for strep just to be on the safe side and it was positive. I went home and my three year old had said her throat hurt while I was at the doctor with the baby. I took her to the doctor although her throat didn't look bad and she didn't have a fever and she was also positive. So as much as I hate viruses right now I hate strep more lol!!! I hope your son feels better soon.

Quoting momofthree3708: Thanks! They checked his mouth and throat, and everything looked normal, no rev redness or swelling. Fiths disease is usually on the cheeks, they say out looks like you were slapped in the face, if you look up pics of it, my son's rash is actually the opposite of it lol but thanks, my money is on it just being a virus, I just hate viruses because there is nothing you can do for them and I hate when my babies are miserable :( It makes me feel so helpless

Quoting Love2foster2009: My first thought with a rash and a high temp is strep because that is what happened to a couple of my kids. One of them always had a crazy rash covering his entire body including his bottom. The other just had a pepper like rash. So same illness with two completely looking rashes. My daughter did get a rash when she had three viruses - adenovirus, enterovirus and rsv although I don't know which caused the rash. But that rash was only on her stomach. My niece had fifths disease once but I don't remember her rash. Sorry that is all I know about rashes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN