Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What do you feed your kids?

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

My kids have only been out of school a couple of weeks & I'm already running out of ideas for breakfasts & lunches. What do you feed your kids for breakfast & lunch? & how old are they? 

by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sam12796
by Sandy on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

lots of things. Sometimes we have fresh cut fruit with yogurt and granola, sometimes pancakes, eggs on toast, an omelette, french toast and all of those get some kind of fruit as well.

Lunch is sometimes sandwiches, or a pasta salad, or salad with grilled chicken, sometimes we have hot dogs on the grill, occasionally I make pigs in a blanket with cheese slices too. Different things.

burch731
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM

BUMP!

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Check Mr Breakfast.com for ideas.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM

yesterday I gave them baked bacon, pinepple, raspberries and cinnamon raisin toast with butter and strawberry jam. 

mymanben
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:26 AM
My son is 4. For lunch he had nachos and refried beans
booaura
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Mine are 4, 2, and 4 months. Youngest is on breast milk. Older two, breakfast: cereal, pancakes, waffles, fruit salad, eggs, bacon, hash browns, etc. Lunch: salads, sandwiches, left overs from the night before, fruit and veggies trays, cold cuts, left overs from breakfast (cold waffles, cold pancakes).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Witsend49
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:17 AM

What ages are your children?   Do they have any food allergies? Are they picky eaters?  I am a personal chef with an extensive background in nutrition and fitness, so my suggestions may not be what you are used to, but I get paid to push people's palates and minds so that they can eat good food and be healthy!

I have 3 boys, ages 9,11, and 13.

Typical breakfasts at our house include protien, whole grain carbohydrates, and fruits/vegetables.  

Today, we had a multigrain, bannana nut waffle with peanut butter and a green smoothieSmoothies are a great way to hide veggies if you have picky eaters.

Today's green smoothie had a bannana, strawberries, blueberries, mango, pineapple, fresh spinach, and unsweetened cocunut/almond milk.   If you don't want to add spinach, throw in a carrot or stick of celery OR just use fruit.  I use unsweetened coconut/almond milk or just plain almond milk because it is cholesterol free and provides more calcium and protien than cow's milk.  Also the cocunut makes for a tastier smoothie.  

Breakfast doesn't need to be elaborate or take a lot of work.  If you don't have time to cook in the morning, make a big batch of multi grain waffles or pancakes at some point during the week and freeze them in a ziploc bag.  Then, when you are ready for breakfast, pop a few in the toaster! 

Quiche or mini-quiche is another quick, easy, healthy choice for breakfast or lunch.  

Spaghetti (or any pasta) and meatballs, meatloaf or mini-meatloaf, baked buffalo wings, tacos, sandwich wraps, chicken/vegie potstickers, mac n' cheese, pasta salad with grilled chicken or tunafish, black beans and rice served with grilled chicken or pork chops, are all great lunch choices.   Chicken nuggets are not my favorite thing to feed children, but sometimes we have to choosee our battles.  I suggest makingthem yourself using fresh ingredients or look for a brand that uses whole white chicken breast and no preservatives.  I recommend "Golden Platter" all natural, gluten free chicken nuggets. 

One of my goals as a personal chef is to show the families I work with how they can create easy, healthy, tasty meals with what they already have in their fridge or pantry.  I also teach them how to stock their fridge and pantry with certain staples, so that they can always put something easy, healthy, and tasty on the table.

I hope this helped in some way!

Cheyennesmommy4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Mason and Charlie both love there Oatmeal in the morning, Mason started eating oatmeal when he was a baby with his grandma when we lived in Ca, Charlie learned it from him. Charlie at daycare gets what they feed him, I pack him milk and juice/water. But now that he's not going to daycare for the summer because Im not working as much. The boys get a balanced diet of organic fruits and sandwhiches for lunch.  My boys are 4 years old and 16 mths old.

WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM

For breakfast: pancakes, waffles, fruit, yogurt, eggs, toast, bacon/sausage, grits, cereal, oatmeal

Lunch when I am home: tuna, grilled cheese, mac and cheese (I prefer to make my own), quesadillas, pb and j, leftovers from dinner the night before, pizza (I prefer to make my own),

Those are just some examples, my daughter is 16 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)