Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question for anyone with input on food issues, and adoption

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM
  • 3 Replies

We have been blessed with the opportunity to grow our family and last year we got two amazeing little girls. Our girls were 2, and 4 and so adorable. My family has embraced them with open arms and through therapy, patience and love they are thriving. The only issue and one that I am having a hard time with is my now 5 year old steals and sneaks food, snacks, candy. We have given her concenquesces, and rewords when she does not sneak them but anytime there is any candy, or snacks anywhere she has to take them. Its gotten to the point where our oldest (7) was upset because her sister steals from her. She has a special box where she puts things and had been saving M&Ms for her sisters and told her sister "please dont  take my candy, so I can share with you in our girls club". Well as soon as the box was set down she eats the candy. So we are thinking of getting the other girls a safe, so that they can lock up the things that are spcial to them, but I am at a loss with how to fix this issues? We have tried everything, and it seems like nothing is working. Thanks!

by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Why don't you just remove the candy from the home period?

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Quoting MamaBearEH:

Why don't you just remove the candy from the home period?

I guess that might help but its snacks, food also. plus the candy is helping with the potty training for our three year olds.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

You need to address this with her therapist. My parents took in foster children and many had food hoarding issues - they had come from homes, many of them, where "enough" food wasn't given, treats had to be stolen to be had, and their wants/needs were either ignored or not a priority. Your daughter isn't doing this to make you angry - she is doing this because it is likely an ingrained habit, and like any habit, it needs patience, understanding, and time.

I wouldn't punish over it - ever. Every time you discover she "steals", I would gently take it from her, remind her that in this house we needn't steal - we can ask. When she does ask, praise her. If you can't/shouldn't give it to her at that moment, tell her why and remind her that she can have it at x time (say, after dinner). Remind her that in this house, when the food is gone, more will be bought - things won't just disappear, food isn't scarce, and a trip to the grocery store will replenish what IS gone.

FWIW, my just turned 5 year old does NOT understand the concept of "stealing" yet. This varies by child.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN