baby nameYou know what's an awesome name? Awesome. At least that's what one mom and her son think. Lisa Flores of Juneau, Alaska, is trying to get approval from the court to legally change the middle name of her 2 1/2-year-old daughter Viviana to Awesome. Viviana's current middle name is Contea.

Initially, Viviana's middle name was going to be Awesome. The reason? Lisa let her 11-year-old son Dominic pick out his little sister's name. At first, Dominic suggested his mom name the baby Danger, but after Lisa vetoed that in favor of Viviana, Dominic came back with Awesome as a middle name. At the very last minute, Lisa went with Contea, but now she's had a change of heart. Lisa says that in an effort to honor her son's wishes and thank him for all he's done to help her out, she now wants to go with Dominic's suggestion of Awesome.

I'm all for unusual baby names. In fact, I gave my daughter one and my soon-to-be son will likely have an uncommon one, as well. I say if you want to name your kid Awesome, awesome. Baby names are a personal decision and a matter of taste, and who is the rest of the world to judge? But. It gets a little tricky when a sibling is the one doing the name picking -- particularly if the name he picks is "weird." What if Viviana grows up and hates the middle name Awesome? She'll have her brother to blame. Her brother and her mother for letting an 11-year-old make such a big decision. (Fun fact: I actually know someone with the middle name Rooster, thanks to his older brother.)

It's always a nice (and important!) gesture to involve big brother or big sister in the impending birth of a new baby -- picking out a toy, setting up the crib, etc. -- but when it comes to something as, well, permanent as a name, I think it's probably a decision best left to Mom and Dad. Of course, suggestions should always be welcome, but picking a name (especially one you're unsure of) just to thank your kid and honor his wishes seems like a little much to me.

Here's to hoping the adorable Viviana will always love her middle name and she and Dominic will never argue about it!

What do you think of letting older siblings pick the baby's name?