Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Satellite company vs. cable companies debate

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Which would you choose from the three?

Options:

Time Warner Cable

DirecTV

Dish Network

Other company that may be offered. Please tell me!!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

DH and I are moving to a different city at the end of this month.  The only option for cable is Time Warner, or we can get Directv or Dish Network.  I'm curious to know the experiences with these companies and your most recommended.  We've never had satellite, and I'm worried that if we get satellite it will go out with rain, wind, etc.  Whoever we choose will be providing internet and tv.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions!  :)

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2girls220
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM

We have directv and we love it. never had any major problems and the customer service is great. you will lose reception occasionally, but only when it storms really bad. we have had them 8 months or so and the cable has gone out may 2 times. you can get internet bundled with your cable but it will come from another company since directv doesnt provide internet.

we had time warner before. they suck big time, and are super expensive.

Why123
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I have Direct TV an I am ready to have that thing yanked out of the ground.  I used to have Time Warner but they got too expensive.  I don't watch tv much and unfortunately there is little on that I really want to watch.  I got a smart blueray player that connects up to the internet.  I have Amazon Prime and am thinking about getting Netflix.  This way I can watch what I what when I want.  I can watch any prime time program on the internet so what do I need the satellite for.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM
We have DirecTV and love it. My in-laws had Dish Network but also switched to DTV a few months ago. They said they couldn't believe how much better quality DTV has over DN, just in terms of HD.

We don't get Time Warner in this area, but I've never heard anything good about them from friends in other states who do get it.
SpiritedWitch
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:48 PM

We've had Directv for almost 10 years and have only had minor issues that were resolved quickly. I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM
I would never get satellite. Heard too many stories about it going out for stupid reasons. I'll always choose cable.
SarahlovesLiz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I had always heard, too, but the cable here I've heard is much much worse.  I haven't heard a single good thing about Time Warner cable, and that is our only cable option.  I've researched and researched, and I wanted to get the views of others who may have had any of these services.  I don't want to get gypped.  lol

Quoting katiebug840204: I would never get satellite. Heard too many stories about it going out for stupid reasons. I'll always choose cable.

ColieO
by I Rock on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Some of my family has satellite and it's iffy. We've had cable and only had one outage in 3 years.

I don't really care for either because the companies are ridiculous to deal with and the prices are never the same.
SarahlovesLiz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM

BUMP

Rooobeee
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

We have had DirecTV for almost 10 years now. We used to have Dish, but DTV has been better in terms of pricing and customer service. I think outages may depend on locations, but where I live, the only time we've lost a satellite signal was during extremely high winds or solar energy flares. Even cable companies use satellites to broadcast their signals and can lose service from time to time.

While I haven't used Dish's HD, I do know that DTV HD is pretty good. I also love their DVR features. I also knew someone who used the Dish Hopper and stated that it sucked. As far as programming, I have taken a look at Dish's channel lineup and discovered that in order to get my favorite channels, I would have had to pay more than what I already pay with DTV.

And finally, there have been times when we have had to call customer service with an issue. CS has always been great and sometimes after solving a problem, they would offer 3 months of a premium channel for free. If we had ordered a PPV movie, but for whatever reason we couldn't watch it, they can tell if the movie was watched or not. If it hasn't been watched, they would refund the amount for the movie. This was done once or twice because of technical difficulties.

If I were you, I would research all three choices online. Check out their channel lineups, find your favorite basic channels, and see how much you would have to pay per month (AFTER any initial discounts) in order to get those channels.

Raindancerx
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM

DH and I have time warner. We had dish network for awhile but it was TERRIBLE and would go out if there was even cloud cover and with both of us being in online school we couldn't have our internet going out at the drop of a hat so we switched to time warner and it is AMAZING and we really love it. We alway renegotiate the price when we re-up our contract.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN