Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Drive or Fly?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM
  • 21 Replies

I have only been on a plane twice, I don't really remember either trip because I was too young at the time. I have to make the decision to either fly on a airplane for a short couple of hours or drive 13+ hours. I have a 7 year old DS who has never been on a plane before. I am scared of flying, I don't know why exactly, I just don't care much for the idea of it. Driving is fine, however, that many hours for him to sit around might be too much for the both of us?

Have you flown with your children? How did it go?

What would you do if you were me?

Autism Is Everywhere        

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Reign-
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM
I would much rather fly. I think a 7yr old may think its cool.. I couldn't sit in a car that long. Flights make me nervous but I would much rather take a plane for a few short hours.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:43 AM

We do both with our kids and depending on where we are going there are good and bad about both. 

I think it would be neat for your son to fly, it is a great age for that!

mommy2boys03
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM

My youngest went on the first flight he could remember this year at 7 and he was so excited by everything and had a great time.  That long I would fly.

mychinababy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM
We fly back and forth from china to Florida every year. I still don't like flying but we do it. My older kids (7,5) love it. My younger two (2,1) are a little more of a handful but as long as I have plenty of snacks and iPad fully charged were good too go.
I'd think your 7 year old would think it's cool. Let him experience flying before he starts growing a fear of it.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:57 AM

How old is your child?
We took ours when they were very young on the plane ..
We were prepared & they did great :)

ColieO
by I Rock on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM
We usually drive because it's much cheaper. I just did a 14+ hour road trip with a 6 and 3 year old in February. They did really well and it's kind of fun to see all the different places and scenery on the way.

If flying wasn't so expensive we might do it more.
mona165
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:12 AM
Well I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old im driving a 32+ hour trip from Tennessee to California, because its cheaper and wer bringing back my husband's car with my truck pulling it. But ofcorse wer going to be making stops so the girls can stretch and run around for a couple of minutes, plus we have tvs in the truck and my daughters sleep for 12 hours in the night, and we leaving starting our trip at night right before they fall asleep. And my oldest entertains herself by looking at books and drawing so its good. We have traveled to texas already also in truck and they did fine but ofcorse this time is going to be longer but I got this. I can handle it, theyr not really the screaming kind in the trucks.
Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM
I would fly. I don't have any desire to be in transit that long lol. I have flown with two of my 3 kids before, but I also had my husband with me. It's really no biggie since they have their own seat and their car seat, and I try to go when it will be around bed time so we sleep as much as possible. I think if I was going to go alone I would choose to go I a plane still though... So much faster and more comfortable.
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:53 AM
I would fly. I flew with my oldest when he was two and I was seven months pregnant, and it was a complete nightmare. But a seven year old would be a different story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

It went fine with the children.  Remember that the two hour flight doesn't include the time to and from the airport and the waiting in line and security check, etc. Yet I'd still take this over the long car ride.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN