Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dog owners, please help

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:13 AM
  • 14 Replies

I do plan on taking my dog to the vet...just need some advice until then. 

I have a soon to be 1 year old male Pug, named Pugly.

He has been eating Purina Puppy Chow (planning to change over to dog chow soon), he eats about 1 cup in the morning and 1/2 a cup he munches on throughout the day.  He also has 1 portion of Cesars dog food.  He has been tolerating this well since we got him when he was 8 weeks old. 

He threw up last Wednesday night, about a cups worth of vomitus.  He was fine on Thursday night.  He threw up again on Friday early morning (6:00 AM), but it was very lttle.  He vomited last night, just a little bit.  He tries to lick up his vomit after he does it. 

The vomit looks like his dry dog food, it's the same color, it's just all mushy of course.  No worms, no blood, no mucus. 

Other than that he's eating the same.  He's drinking the same.  Peeing and pooping the same (no changes in stool).  He has the same level of activity (still a crazy, active Pug!)  It's just that lately some nights...he'll occasionally dry heave...as if he's trying to vomit...and eventually he might vomit.  Then he'll just go about his business or try to lick up the vomit. 

His abdomen isn't distended, it isn't firm, no palpable masses, bowel sounds are normal.  I don't note any evidence of discomfort or pain when I press on his stomach. No signs of lethargy.  (I'm a nurse, so I did a full assessment LOL but I'm not a vet so I have no idea what I'm looking for). 

I wonder if I should be very concerned?  Should I just continue to monitor him?  I was thinking I should probably cut back on the Purina Puppy Chow (since that's basically what he's throwing up)...maybe soften it with water if he's having difficulty digesting it (since he basically just swallows the stuff). 

Any advice is welcome.  I will take him to the vet if symptoms persist.  He's been dry heaving tonight...but he hasn't thrown up yet. 

Sorry so long.  I just love this dog...but pugs are seriously starting to freak me out.  He's had so many issues...when he was only 9 weeks old he tried to chew his way out of his kennel and his teeth got stuck in the caging.  He was screaming and twisting around soooo bad.  I will never forget the way it sounded.  It took my husband and I 10 minutes to get him out (his mouth was stuck opened wide and he was just STUCK!), I almost called 911.  I was sure I was going to lose him.  Then he SWALLOWED  a 6 inch raw hide whole. when he was 4 months old.  We had to get him seen for that...and he was fine.  My Maltese is a piece of cake! 

Thanks again.  :)

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swbetterhalf
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My advice is to go ahead and water down his dog food and see if that helps. Soft food may be the way to go for him because it seems to me from what you said he digests that well and he has no problems afterward. He may just be the kind of dog that needs soft food rather that dry food. My shizu eats soft food well he will eat dry food but sometimes he does have problems with it. It could be that small dogs just have problems digesting dry food. My shiizu had problems last night throwing up liquid type and does that sometimes. Just watch him and see how he does with water down food if that don't work take him off of it then feed him just his soft dog food and see how he does. If he continues to have problems having switching him then taking him to the vet. I hope this helps you.

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Pugs do have some issues. He could have allergies, and the mucous is causing hime to vomit. Does he sneeze a lot and rub his face on stuff? Or he could be allergic to grain. We have to get grain free food for ours. They can be a lot of trouble, but they are soo worth it, to us anyway. Here's my Max.

krista778
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
My pug had asthma and would dry heave trying to breath when he was having an attack . Never actually threw up unless He was sick or over ate though
Hope its nothing more than a food change
4everJs
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Awwww he's so cute. He doesn't rub his face or sneeze. Not sure about the grain thing. Would it just happen suddenly Asher nearly a year of him tolerating it fine?

Quoting elasmimi:

Pugs do have some issues. He could have allergies, and the mucous is causing hime to vomit. Does he sneeze a lot and rub his face on stuff? Or he could be allergic to grain. We have to get grain free food for ours. They can be a lot of trouble, but they are soo worth it, to us anyway. Here's my Max.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

My first advice? Switch food away from purina. As far as nutrition, it's at the bottom of the scale. Try something like Blue Buffalo. More expensive, but definitely worth the expense!

Honestly it sounds like he's eating too much. What goes in must come out in some way. Follow the serving guidelines, especially with pugs, because they tend to gain weight fast

Zzzzzx
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Puppies often get a bacteria in their stomach which can be from grass. It's a simple fix with some meds from the vet, so u should take him in. I' ve had to litters of puppies , two of my pups had the same thing.
MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM
If there is no blood, mucous, he isn't lethargic, you can physically examine his belly without pain, he is pooping and drinking water I would think he is fine.

Heat can cause upset stomach & vomiting like that, as well as someone mentioned allergies. With all due respect you're feeding him incredibly poor quality food. It's got loads of fillers, highly processed, and questionable ingredients. I would look into feeding a quality pet food from a pet store. Vets are large quantities paid by companies to get you to buy the exclusive food they sell, and its typically not much better quality. Science Diet for example is notorious for causing seizures. You couldn't pay me to fees my animals that crap.
MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
A dogs digestive system is not designed to be able to handle grains period. Because he can't talk to you, you may not realize if he was experiencing internal or some symptoms until its progressed to a significant problem. They put grain in dog food because its a cheap filler. Meat is more expensive.

Quoting 4everJs: Awwww he's so cute. He doesn't rub his face or sneeze. Not sure about the grain thing. Would it just happen suddenly Asher nearly a year of him tolerating it fine?

Quoting elasmimi:

kmeow
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM

It doesn't sound like he's vomiting, it sounds like he's regurgitating. My dog had a similar issue because she ate to fast. We put a big rock in the middle of her bowl now so she has to take her time eating and it fixed the issue. They also have donut shaped dog dishes at most pet stores for this purpose. If he's an eager eater I'm betting this is your issue.

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM

You might be feeding him too much. A lot of small animals puke when they are stuffed.  Take your own advice and cut back on the amount of food you are giving him.  In the mean time, remove all dog food and feed him some boiled chicken and rice to settle his stomach. If he continues to vomit after that there may be some other problems. If I had to guess it's probably just a stomach bug. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)