Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Could really use some advise on my niece and nephews

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM
  • 5 Replies

This will probably be pretty long so sorry in advance.

My sister is 28, with four children one of which lives with me, and has since he was four months old. He is now ten.  She has always had a habit of picking really bad men, and the good ones she does find, she ends up cheating on them or having them arrested on trumped up charges, so that they will get out of her hair.

Last summer they came up to visit because she was having "issues" with her then boyfriend. Her son who was 4 at the time showed me a welt on his back when I asked what happened he told me that her boyfriend hit him with a chain he called it. I questioned her, and found out the bf had hit him with one of them bungee cord thing with the hook it a week prior, and she was still allowing that piece of crap to be around thos children. I called the police, he got arrested, and cps opened a case against her which was later closed after they had3-4 pop up visits, and she had to go to parenting classes twice.

Since then she has had a string of "boyfriends" most of which she has met off of the internet, and even took the children with her to meet these men that she didn't know.  When someone mentioned that she shouldn't do that it's dangerous she rolls her eyes and says "well are you going to watch them". For the past two months or so she has tried to pawn the kids off on family memebers every weekend and sometimes during the week so that she can do God knows what. The kids came here to stay the night last  Wednesday, and again on Saturday wearing the same clothes they went home in Sunday and were so dirty their skin was almost black. It's took fifteen minutes to get the tangles out of my nieces hair after my mother and I gave them baths.

Her five year old says she drinks beer, and acts "crazy". She has moved in with her new "boyfriend" that she has known all of a month, and he is very controlling won't allow her to go anywhere or use her phone unless he is there with her.

I just need some advise. I don't know what to do, I could be over reacting but I don't think the kids are in a good enviornment. I don't know if I should just mind my own business, or call cps just to have them check everything out, and make sure things are okay. THis same type of stuff has been happening for years, and I know that those poor kids are going to be having major issues as thye grow up.

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Wow! Thats a lot  to take in! Well if you reported her before then I don't see a problem with doing it again? Its one of those sticky situations not your life not your kids. Its HER responsibilities but she is not stepping up to the plate. In the same difference those kids can be taken away and sent to foster care? It all sounds scary. I'm no help,I fell sorry for her kids!

Quoting pnicole:

This will probably be pretty long so sorry in advance.

My sister is 28, with four children one of which lives with me, and has since he was four months old. He is now ten.  She has always had a habit of picking really bad men, and the good ones she does find, she ends up cheating on them or having them arrested on trumped up charges, so that they will get out of her hair.

Last summer they came up to visit because she was having "issues" with her then boyfriend. Her son who was 4 at the time showed me a welt on his back when I asked what happened he told me that her boyfriend hit him with a chain he called it. I questioned her, and found out the bf had hit him with one of them bungee cord thing with the hook it a week prior, and she was still allowing that piece of crap to be around thos children. I called the police, he got arrested, and cps opened a case against her which was later closed after they had3-4 pop up visits, and she had to go to parenting classes twice.

Since then she has had a string of "boyfriends" most of which she has met off of the internet, and even took the children with her to meet these men that she didn't know.  When someone mentioned that she shouldn't do that it's dangerous she rolls her eyes and says "well are you going to watch them". For the past two months or so she has tried to pawn the kids off on family memebers every weekend and sometimes during the week so that she can do God knows what. The kids came here to stay the night last  Wednesday, and again on Saturday wearing the same clothes they went home in Sunday and were so dirty their skin was almost black. It's took fifteen minutes to get the tangles out of my nieces hair after my mother and I gave them baths.

Her five year old says she drinks beer, and acts "crazy". She has moved in with her new "boyfriend" that she has known all of a month, and he is very controlling won't allow her to go anywhere or use her phone unless he is there with her.

I just need some advise. I don't know what to do, I could be over reacting but I don't think the kids are in a good enviornment. I don't know if I should just mind my own business, or call cps just to have them check everything out, and make sure things are okay. THis same type of stuff has been happening for years, and I know that those poor kids are going to be having major issues as thye grow up.

butterfly61806
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM
I would definitely call cps it's apparent that she isn't taking care of her kid like they need. By not calling you could be setting them up for many problems in life and school. I would discuss with other family members and your spouse about who could take kids ahead of time so that they don't end up in foster care. But be peppered if none of you can take the kids that they could end up in foster care. Hope all goes well with them.
terpmama
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Can you take them in for the long haul? Maybe you can get her to sign over guardianship/custody to you (since she's trying to pawn them off anyway). Either way something needs to happen... Either you take them or call CPS.
NYnewmom81214
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I would call CPS on her just for neglect alone. She doesn't sound like a very good mom who has the interests of her children as a priority.

RutterMama
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Here's the thing, what is going to be best for the KIDS? Regardless of YOUR emotions or how you are invested, but what is truly best for THEM?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN