Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Not sure what I can do. Issue with a tree and neighbor

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM
  • 3 Replies

There is a huge tree that grows between ours and the neighbors house.  The tree is theirs.   There is a family living in the house. But they are only renters. The landlord is in property management whatever you call it. When they own a bunch of rental properties.   2 summers back a huge section of that tree fell in their yard after a bad storm..  Some middle aged guy and his wife were living in the upstairs. It crushed their granddaughters wading pool.  They spoke to the landlord about cutting the whole tree down.  He says No.  Something tells me part of the tree is rotting away.  The family that rents the whole house upper and lower units of this duplex now. Well the father.  He is a construction worker.  He did clip some of the branches that hung in my yard last summer.  He too had been trying to get the landlord to cut the whole tree down.  Or let him cut it down in exchange for some rent.   He too got a no answer.   I don't expect the city to do anything.   Not unless the whole tree was rotted through.   I don't wish bad on anyone. But sometimes I think. To bad another good chunk of the tree don't fall in their yard. Not on anyones house or garage. Just in the yard.  Maybe the landlord would get the hint remover the tree.  When it was a few years after we moved in our house.  The city told me.  I can clip branches that hang in our yard. But can't take the whole tree down. Since it belongs to someone else.    Every summer the health inspector has been around the neighborhood.  We live close to the train tracks.  Rats have been seen in the alley. So they send someone out to check yards in summer. See if there are signs of rats.  If the health inspector comes.  I might just ask him what I can do about the tree.  Show it to them. Saying I am worried our house might get destroyed if the tree fell.  I did have one quote of almost $2000 to have the whole tree taken down.  We don't have that kind of money just lying around. That landlord doesn't even want to split the cost with us.

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
themaurer7
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM
Is it really leaning towards your home? You could contact the owner and let them kindly know that if it happens to fall and damage your property you will be going after them for damages.
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Unless the tree is leaning towards your house and showing a real danger I don't think there is anything you can do. It's not your tree. Just keep clipping any branches on your side and hopefully if it does fall it will fall the other way due to it being the heavier side.
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:23 PM

You are all right on this.  Probably not much I can do.  But told dh if it fell on our house.  Assuming we file a claim with our homeowners insurance. The insurance company will send out a claims adjustor.   They will see where the tree came from.  The insurance company will go after the owner of the house to pay for damages etc.  It's how it happened with a car accident we had years ago.   After they got the info including the police report. They went after the woman who hit us. To reimburse our insurance company for the damages. Which weren't that much to begin with. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN