Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Pain and Surgery

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 5:24 AM
  • 7 Replies

Mobile Photo

I am a 40 year old Blessed woman with a wonderful husband, a daughter who is 18 and Jewels (my American Hairless Terrier who is 2 years old). I grew up in Lacey's Spring's Alabama and i am currently living in Madison, Alabama. My husband and I met through a friend/coworker. I was in a bad marriage for so long. The. I met my second husband and I have never been so happy. I finally realize that all men are not the same. We've been married for nearly 10 years (been together for nearly 11). I have a Seizure disorder that get me down from time to time. Sometimes I wished I could work but I would rather be at home with Jewels and spend time with my daughter when she is out of college.
I received some bad news today. I had my Uterus removed approx 4 years ago and I have been having abdominal pain for approx 3 years. I never wanted to go back to the OBGYN because I had a Hysterectomy and I just kept living with the pain (it would come and go). Finally I was hurting so bad that I made an appointment with my doctor. Between the Exam, Blood Work, and the Ultrasound he knew something was wrong. I had exploratory surgery today. He knew there were a lot of Cysts on my Ovaries and some bad scar tissue BUT come to find out, I have Endometriosis. He didn't remove my Ovaries (YaY). He wants to start me on Medication to see if this will work (when I return for my 1 weeks appointment). Does this go away with meds? If I have this, why didn't he remove my Ovaries? I'm just so confused.
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Becken1925
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 5:46 AM
I'm not positive but a niece of mine had it and the last time we spoke she said their wasn't a cure. There may be now. Surgery might be required. The Dr likely didn't want to remove your ovaries if they are fine since then you would have to be on hormone therapy and that in itself can have bad side effects. Even been known to cause cancer. Anyone with this has little chance of becoming pregnant anyway but my niece was able to have one child after she had surgery. Good luck and God bless you! Good to know there can be happiness after a bad marriage. I had one of those then after 30 yrs alone with my 3 kids met man of my dreams but he passed away while we were planning on getting married. So you truly are blessed! Becken1925
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 5:58 AM
He may have chosen not to remove your ovaries because your case may not be severe enough to warrant a surgical procedure at this time. Medication will help with symptoms of endometriosis but will not cure it. It may have actually been a product of your hysterectomy. We have had a case or two (i work in an ob/gyn office) where the procedure has caused endo cells to attach to other parts of the body and new endometrium tissue begins to grow. We tend to sway towards conserving the ovaries to avoid the need for added hormone replacement. In the one case we had where the ovaries were removed the patient had severe bleeding accompanied by pain. Your doctor will continue to monitor it and decide to do surgery later on or medication may be the only thing you need. It will be important for you have an annual gyn visit, if not more often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I'm sorry, I have no experience other than to know that it can be painful. I hope you can get some answers for your doctor at your follow up.

**Post ANONYMOUSLY on Mom Confessions!**

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I hope that the med helps. Feel better soon.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I don't have any experience with this, but a friend of mine has dealt with it.  She had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago and her ovaries were left, but she'll be going back in to have them removed due to continued pain, etc.  

It could be that your doctor wants to have some documentation on record and try a few other ways of treating the condition before suggesting another major surgery.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Welcome to the group. It's nice to meet you =) I don't have any experience with this. Do they usually remove your ovaries if it's bad enough?
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Welcome to cafemom.

I don't have no experience with what you are going through but I hope you get the answers you are seeking and some pain relief soon. Good luck with everything and hope you enjoy yourself on here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN