Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LICE and Tea Tree Oil

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 5 Replies
This morning when I dropped my 4 year old at preschool, I was notified that there was a case of lice. I panicked! Lice is one of my worst nightmares! Anyways, my daughter was checked yesterday and all day today, and luckily she is good. Obviously I don't want her to get them, and in the past I had heard that tea tree oil helps to prevent them along with killing them. My question is, how do I apply it on my 4 year old? Should I apply it before or after her bath? Thanks!
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
texasgirl77
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Put a few drops IN her shampoo. Put a normal amount of shampoo in your hand and add two or three drops of tea tree oil to the shampoo. Mix it in and wash her hair as normal. I think California baby brand (at target) has a tea tree oil shampoo.
texasgirl77
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Also, if she actually does get lice, the chemical treatments aren't really working anymore. What you'll want to do is coat her hair and scalp in Vaseline, put a shower cap on overnight, and wash out in the morning. The Vaseline is a PAIN to get out but it works. You can wash her hair with dish liquid and hot water to get the Vaseline out (it will take a few washings!). Then buy a flea comb or metal lice comb and carefully use it on her hair, removing all nits. Repeat the Vaseline process a week later to kill any lice that hatch in that week. I know because we are currently dealing with this issue! Hopefully she doesn't get it.
TAG9lbs
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM
I haven't tried it but I did hear good things about the tea tree oil.

I was told dog flea shampoo has the same chemicals that the lice remover does and works fine as regular shampoo. I was also told mayonnaise works to kill lice if you put it in the hair put a shower cap on for an hour and then rinse it out. Also like the above comment states run a flea or lice comb through the hair for eggs or nits or whatever the little black things are.

GL I haven't had the problem yet I just like keeping informed on options.
gypsychyck
by on May. 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM

I just realized that this is an old post. but wanted to share with you, and also like keeping informed. my 2 and a half year old son and i just got over a head lice case.  the itchies. ugh..... we got the cream nix from our family dr.. to treat the first time, and again 7 - 9 days later.  well two days in i could still see bugs and feel the itch. so i went online, and heart to try listerine, i did straight listerine to my head which stung, quite a bit, and different people reccommend different amounts of time, i put it in my hair and my sons for 12 hours, because i had read lice can hold their breath up to 8 hours, but i also added coconut oil, to the listerine soak, and baby oil for my son, because i didnt want to burn his scalp like i already had mine. found a lot of dead bugs on our pillow after that.  then we washed it out of our hair, and washed the oil out with apple cider vinegar, because thats what helps remove the eggs.  i had ran out of listerine the second day so i just put oil in for 8 hours, and then used regular vinegar. also the vinegar stinks but makes your hair soft. only good thing out of it.  lol anyways i did the listerine treatment everyother day and at the end of the week when it was time again to do the next nix treatment there was barely any bugs in our hair. i may be wrong but im convinced the listerine has helped and the vinegar. i also added the tea tree oil a few drops to our shampoo, to keep them away.  hopefully it works.  and hopefully this information will help others as well. i also heard about the dog flea shampoo, but never tried it, so not too sure. hopefully there is not a next time, but with my luck and a two year old, who knows. fingers crossed.

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM
I did the LISTERINE treatment. The alcohol kills them pretty fast. It has nothing to do with them holding their breath. The contact on their bodies is enough. I left it on for two hours to soak (just the hair saturated with it. No specific amount). Washed it out with regular shampoo and then did the same with white vinegar for 1 hour to dissolve the nit glue. Washed the hair again with regular shampoo and conditioner. Combed through with a lice comb. We didn't have to do anything else after that. The lice were gone. No second treatment needed. I did it on my Dd and myself. The Listerine tingled but didn't burn. And yeah it smelled awful. But worth it after fighting lice for two months straight! (And now my head itches just talking about this! Lol)

Quoting gypsychyck:

I just realized that this is an old post. but wanted to share with you, and also like keeping informed. my 2 and a half year old son and i just got over a head lice case.  the itchies. ugh..... we got the cream nix from our family dr.. to treat the first time, and again 7 - 9 days later.  well two days in i could still see bugs and feel the itch. so i went online, and heart to try listerine, i did straight listerine to my head which stung, quite a bit, and different people reccommend different amounts of time, i put it in my hair and my sons for 12 hours, because i had read lice can hold their breath up to 8 hours, but i also added coconut oil, to the listerine soak, and baby oil for my son, because i didnt want to burn his scalp like i already had mine. found a lot of dead bugs on our pillow after that.  then we washed it out of our hair, and washed the oil out with apple cider vinegar, because thats what helps remove the eggs.  i had ran out of listerine the second day so i just put oil in for 8 hours, and then used regular vinegar. also the vinegar stinks but makes your hair soft. only good thing out of it.  lol anyways i did the listerine treatment everyother day and at the end of the week when it was time again to do the next nix treatment there was barely any bugs in our hair. i may be wrong but im convinced the listerine has helped and the vinegar. i also added the tea tree oil a few drops to our shampoo, to keep them away.  hopefully it works.  and hopefully this information will help others as well. i also heard about the dog flea shampoo, but never tried it, so not too sure. hopefully there is not a next time, but with my luck and a two year old, who knows. fingers crossed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN