Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

LICE and Tea Tree Oil

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 3 Replies
This morning when I dropped my 4 year old at preschool, I was notified that there was a case of lice. I panicked! Lice is one of my worst nightmares! Anyways, my daughter was checked yesterday and all day today, and luckily she is good. Obviously I don't want her to get them, and in the past I had heard that tea tree oil helps to prevent them along with killing them. My question is, how do I apply it on my 4 year old? Should I apply it before or after her bath? Thanks!
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
texasgirl77
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Put a few drops IN her shampoo. Put a normal amount of shampoo in your hand and add two or three drops of tea tree oil to the shampoo. Mix it in and wash her hair as normal. I think California baby brand (at target) has a tea tree oil shampoo.
texasgirl77
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Also, if she actually does get lice, the chemical treatments aren't really working anymore. What you'll want to do is coat her hair and scalp in Vaseline, put a shower cap on overnight, and wash out in the morning. The Vaseline is a PAIN to get out but it works. You can wash her hair with dish liquid and hot water to get the Vaseline out (it will take a few washings!). Then buy a flea comb or metal lice comb and carefully use it on her hair, removing all nits. Repeat the Vaseline process a week later to kill any lice that hatch in that week. I know because we are currently dealing with this issue! Hopefully she doesn't get it.
TAG9lbs
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM
I haven't tried it but I did hear good things about the tea tree oil.

I was told dog flea shampoo has the same chemicals that the lice remover does and works fine as regular shampoo. I was also told mayonnaise works to kill lice if you put it in the hair put a shower cap on for an hour and then rinse it out. Also like the above comment states run a flea or lice comb through the hair for eggs or nits or whatever the little black things are.

GL I haven't had the problem yet I just like keeping informed on options.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN