Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it okay to leave a 7 year old child home alone watching TV for 20 minutes? Or no?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM
  • 89 Replies

Not my child but a friend did this.  I wouldn't but she had no problem with it. What about you?

by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM

No I would not have.

vicky33006
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Definitely not.
krazymom2boyz
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM
This last school year I was in school as well as my boys. My school would end by 300 and the boys got off the bus at close to 4. 95% of the time I made it home before them. However, because I was in the kitchen and sometimes things took longer to get cleaned up or finished baking, I would be late. My oldest had a house key and would let them both into the house. They were allowed to watch tv or play the Wii until I got home. It was never more than 10-20 minutes. They were fine. My boys were 6 and 8.
andersongirl562
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM
My 6 year old did is super responsible however I wouldn't leave her home alone.
terpmama
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM
Depends on te kid and situation... I could see my brother leaving his oldest home to pick up the youngest or grab dinner type of thing but they are close with their neighbors (200 yards aybe door to door).
VeggieRunnerMom
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Depends on the kid. My first I could have (didn't though) my youngest currently 9 and no she couldnt handle it!

butterfly61806
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM
I would say no. My daughter is 8 I have only left her alone once for maybe ten minutes because she was sick from school(lay on couch kind of sick) and I needed to get her ginger ale at the dollar store right near house( close enough to walk to ) The only reason I left her was cause she was too sick to come with me and I even downloaded an app to call her iPod while I was gone but it didn't work.
bellaboo1314
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
No way...how would a child ward off a would be intruder?
reche1978
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM

no to young.  I have left my 9yr old 2 times the most was 15 min and that was more than enough for me

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:11 AM
My 7yr old did by complete accident lol. He was very responsible about it too. I was on a field trip with my older dd and he waited all day for a note from the office to go there after school. He new he was supposed to go there cuz the field trip was longer then school. Well the rule is if u dont get a note saying otherwise you ride the bus. So he the bus home. The secretary from school came to get him anf he was very quiet and didnt even open the door for her. Took her 20 min to convince him it was ok. So with that in mind yes my 7yr old is responsible enough to do so, would I? Prob not Im a chicken lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)