Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why did you get married?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM
  • 54 Replies

Our neighbors across the street have a son who got married a few weeks after graduating from college. I think it was expected from them both.  Graduate high school, go to college, find a girl, get married.    Less than a year later they were divorced.  Why did you get married?  Was it just expected?  Insurance reasons, you felt it was necessary before you had children?  Maybe your church expects it?

by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fiddlerbird555
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this

He asked, I slept on it, and realized that coming home to him every day would be a pleasure.

april_fooler
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:34 AM

But you don't have to be married for that.

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

He asked, I slept on it, and realized that coming home to him every day would be a pleasure.

fiddlerbird555
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM
9 moms liked this

You don't. I do.

Quoting april_fooler:

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:37 AM
We got married because we loved each other and it was the only way I could join him because he was in the Navy.

We've been happily married for 11 years.
mum_of_ian
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:38 AM

But why?  Is it for religious reasons?   You had to have the piece of pape? Just curious.

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

You don't. I do.

Quoting april_fooler:

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

goldpandora
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM

We lived together for 12-13 years and I didn't see the need to get married... until we bought this house. It's a converted farmhouse. It cost us a fortune and it took a long time to pay off. Anyway, the inheritance laws where we live made the decision for us. This is a "blood ties" inheritance country. As we didn't have children, if he died his family would have inherited his share in the house (unless each and every one of them in turn refused it) and if I wanted to inherit it (after all the refusals) I would have to have paid 60% in inheritance tax on his half... There was also the chance that his family would have kept it and decided to force me to sell out (it really is a desirable property and, at the time, at least 2 people in his family might have decided to do that. Ovbiously, the same was true for him.

These days the whole point is moot because we have two beautiful daughters who will automatically inherit the place when we go... :)

So, in the end, we got married for basely material reasons.

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I always knew we would get married (even before we started dating). It was just a strong feeling of rightness and certainty I felt. We got married sooner rather than a long engagement because hubby was due to deploy soon. We celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary last week.
Why123
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I got married because it seemed like a good idea at the time.  It lasted almost 17 years.

tattedmommy730
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:53 AM

We got married because we love each other and thats what we wanted to do. It wasn't expected, our son was born before we got married and we are atheist

olst0032
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Why did we get married?

Because it took one date to realize that the connection we have takes many lifetimes to forge.

Because it took two dates for us to become teammates.

Because it didn't take any effort for us to be one hundred percent real, open, and vulnerable with each other.

Because we can disagree without fighting.

Because we can fight -- for resolution, not to win.

Because we enrich each other, encourage each other, complete each other, and put the other first.

Because we both wanted a family, and it is a belief we both share that a strong, healthy marriage is the ideal foundation for a strong, healthy family.

Because it's a goal we each had in mind from the outset, and we entered our relationship knowing it'd either end, or end in marriage. We had direction, and as things progressed, we knew we were headed in the same direction.

Because when we set our minds to something, it happens.

-----

...and I'll be real, we got married when we did because I got knocked up. ;) and that's just fine. All a part of our crazy adventure. I know that, together, we can't go wrong, and I've known that from the start.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN