Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need to be more prepared

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM
  • 6 Replies

So last night I was watching my nephew along with my 2 little ones (7) and (5), my 7 year old was in the toy room playing with my nephew and my 5 year old was sitting with me on the couch, when all of a sudden the power go's out.  I'm sitting on the couch searching for my phone so I can have some kinda light, we round up the kids on the couch and then my husband and I start searching for candles while the kids are freaking  out on the couch.  Well I get up this morning and find out there was a 5.2 earth quake not to far from us and that was what knocked out the power.  I am not ready for stuff like this!!  It never happens around here!!  Now I need to sit down and make a box or something with everything that we would need if this ever happens again, any suggestions?

Visit me at the Kitchen Sink Cafe!!

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kimber2465
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM

i have a tote box with first aide, copies of the important papers, water, lanterns, at least two sets of clothes shoes, can food, can opener,radio, batteries. girl stuff  i check it often to swap out sizes, ect.. we keep right where we can get to it if we need to leave in a hurry. we have been through several tornadoes, and hurricanes

JaDev
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Wow thanks!! I would have never thought of all that!!  I was raised in Arizona and now live in New Mexico and we really don't have to many natural disasters around here, but I felt so unprepaired and scared for the kids!

Lizzylovie22
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I have a box in our pantry with candles, first aide stuff, water bottles, snacks, wire phones, helmets (in case of a tornado), flashlights, batteries, and a whole lot more.

Reina13
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

This is a really good idea. 

Quoting kimber2465:

i have a tote box with first aide, copies of the important papers, water, lanterns, at least two sets of clothes shoes, can food, can opener,radio, batteries. girl stuff  i check it often to swap out sizes, ect.. we keep right where we can get to it if we need to leave in a hurry. we have been through several tornadoes, and hurricanes

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM

That's really scary!  I've never experienced an earthquake but we do get tornados here so I keep a couple of blankets, candles and games for the kids down in the basement.  I need to put together a first aid kit and keep some sort of snacks & water down there for us as well.

JaDev
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Great ideas, Thanks guys!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)