Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm so frustrated right now! My daughter's temperature has gone from 100.5 to 103.3. The pediatrician is telling us  not to go to the E.R. What in the world?! I feel helpless! My LO is drinking milk...but she's so lethargic. Should I just take her to the E.R. regardless of what my pediatrician says?

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaineMammax2
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM
How old is she? You can do a Luke warm bath, popsicle and clear liquids to bring down her fever. Are you giving her any fever reducer?
desiree_jeanine
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM

She's 15 months. I gave her tylenol not long ago...She's asleep now

Quoting MaineMammax2: How old is she? You can do a Luke warm bath, popsicle and clear liquids to bring down her fever. Are you giving her any fever reducer?

katemckenzie
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Dairy is not a good idea when a kiddo is sick. Tends to make them more sluggish, because the body has to work harder to digest it and stay hydrated. Plus, if she pukes it up, it's going to be disgusting. Clear liquids only. Preferably cold ones.
103.3 isn't ER worthy yet, use cold washcloths around the back of her neck, Tylenol and Motrin alternated every 4 hours to keep the fever low.
desiree_jeanine
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Oh wow...She didn't tell us not to give her milk...she just said make sure she's drinking fluid. Thanks for the tip!

Quoting katemckenzie: Dairy is not a good idea when a kiddo is sick. Tends to make them more sluggish, because the body has to work harder to digest it and stay hydrated. Plus, if she pukes it up, it's going to be disgusting. Clear liquids only. Preferably cold ones. 103.3 isn't ER worthy yet, use cold washcloths around the back of her neck, Tylenol and Motrin alternated every 4 hours to keep the fever low.

katemckenzie
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Yeah, milk is harder on tummies when they're sick. Even with adults. General rule of thumb is no dairy when there's a fever. The body is already working hard to fight the fever, and drinking thick milk makes it work even harder. Stick to clear juices like apple or white grape, water, powerade, etc.

Quoting desiree_jeanine:

Oh wow...She didn't tell us not to give her milk...she just said make sure she's drinking fluid. Thanks for the tip!

Quoting katemckenzie: Dairy is not a good idea when a kiddo is sick. Tends to make them more sluggish, because the body has to work harder to digest it and stay hydrated. Plus, if she pukes it up, it's going to be disgusting. Clear liquids only. Preferably cold ones. 103.3 isn't ER worthy yet, use cold washcloths around the back of her neck, Tylenol and Motrin alternated every 4 hours to keep the fever low.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:50 PM
3 moms liked this
Alternate tylenol and motrin, make sure she drinks fluids (like water, juice, gatorade, NOT milk) keep her cool with a washcloth and keep her stripped to a diaper, no blankets. That isn't ER worthy (I'm an ER nurse). If she stops drinking, it doesn't go down with medications, she stops responding, you can't wake her up, then take her to the ER. It's most likely viral, and there isn't anything we could do for her anyway, besides what I've just told you to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
If she is lethargic, like legitimately, take her to the ER.

If she's uncomfortable, try to ease her comfort. Get her some Pedialite or Gatorade and skip the milk. Don't let her shiver but let her be naked if she's comfortable.

We don't medicate fevers until 104 here but if she's in pain I would give her Tylenol or Motrin to ease her discomfort.

I hope she feels better.
Night_Roane
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Give her a popcycle and run a cool, shallow bath. Have her squat in it and splash in the water, and dab her with a cool washcloth. I did that when my 5 yr old spiked a high fever. It was cool outside, so I had her go on a short walk with me, too. Then I gave her a dose of ibeprofin. She had already dropped 2 degrees before I even gave her the medicine.
ER-momma
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM
I would say yes go to the er. Let someone see her and treat her. Better safe than sorry
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Lethargic does not mean tired BTW. Common for little ones to get fevers. 100 is nothing and 103 in its self is no reason to go to the ER

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/childhood-illnesses/fever
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)