Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Nissan Leaf or Toyota Prius

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM
  • 6 Replies
Has anyone had either?

Do u have any advice or things u like or dislike? Anything you can tell me will help!! :-) thanks!!
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mybumblebe
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Well, I've never had a leaf but I seriously love nissans. We've had an Altima in the last ended up getting a mazda 6 to replace but we also have a rogue. I really do love Nissan
ghwannabe
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM

We were looking at Nissans. The biggest issue we found was cheap interiors. My Aunt has owned a Toyota Prius  for more than 10 years and loves it. My husband has owned his Toyota Prius for 2 years and loves it. We drove from SLC to LA California and spent $55.00 in gas. I was blown away. It was a 14 hour drive.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM

My dad has had a Prius and so has my stepmom. They love them! I don't know anything about the other car

olliebob
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM

There's a huge difference between the 2 cars, so you really need to research some more.  The Nissan Leaf is 100% electric and has a range of around 80 miles before it runs out of power.  It needs to be plugged in to charge up.  The Toyota Prius is a hybrid which runs off both battery and gas.  With a full tank, mine has a range of 500-550 miles.  It doesn't get plugged in at all. Prius does have a plug in version, but it only has a range of 15 miles or so before the gas starts getting used.

For obvious reasons, the Leaf is only suitable if you drove less than 80 miles a day and don't wish to make longer road trips with it, etc.  On the other hand, I've taken my Prius on a 1400 mile trip.

Loxetter
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Well if we get a leaf my husband would use it for work to hopefully save us 200 a month on gas. His office is 27 miles from home. If we get the Prius we won't save AS much but we'll still be saving.
The leaf just seems like such a good deal cheaper car and saves a lot on gas. Thinking there has got to be a catch.... Maybe maintenance is bad, charging gets tiresome, battery looses charge as it ages, battery needs replacing frequently and is expensive or electricity prices will increase for plug ins?
DSamuels
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

You have to figure the increase to your electric bill if you get the leaf. Also the range of how far it will go on a charge. The figures they give usually don't figure in using the heat, a/c, radio or anything else that would drain the battery. Look at traffic too. If you get stuck in traffic you may run out of power.

Quoting Loxetter: Well if we get a leaf my husband would use it for work to hopefully save us 200 a month on gas. His office is 27 miles from home. If we get the Prius we won't save AS much but we'll still be saving. The leaf just seems like such a good deal cheaper car and saves a lot on gas. Thinking there has got to be a catch.... Maybe maintenance is bad, charging gets tiresome, battery looses charge as it ages, battery needs replacing frequently and is expensive or electricity prices will increase for plug ins?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN