Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New mom

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:45 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello my name is Patty I have no kids of my own my new Husband has 5 how do i get them to pick up after thereselfs? There ages 16-10 4 boys 1 girl

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! They may be set in their ways. But as for me, I'd stop picking up after them. They are all capable of picking up after themselves. Tell your husband your his wife, NOT their maid. And let him and them know, you will not be picking up after them. Hopefully they'll get with it.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:43 PM

This is great advice! I think it's time for your husband to step up.

Quoting LancesMom:

Good luck! They may be set in their ways. But as for me, I'd stop picking up after them. They are all capable of picking up after themselves. Tell your husband your his wife, NOT their maid. And let him and them know, you will not be picking up after them. Hopefully they'll get with it.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Welcome to Cafemom Patty.

Get your husband on board and have a family meeting setting up some house rules and chores may be the best way. If you tackle it by yourself you may end up looking like the evil stepmother (kids are dramatic) especially if they are not use to having to do things.

Good luck. I have 4 boys and 1 girl myself with my oldest being 16 and I constantly have to ask them to pick up but rotating chores makes it a little easier, lol.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM

At 10+ they should definitely be picking up after themselves.  Your husband needs to establish some rules and enforce a penalty for breaking them.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Hi, Patty. Welcome! I agree with the others. These children are old enough to pick up after themselves and also be contributing majorly toward household duties. I'd recommend each having their own duty rather than trying to rotate them. For example one always cleans up dishes, one always does the towel laundry, one always mows... like that.  After say a month, they can decide to switch or to keep the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN