Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Advice on MOLD

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone ever lived in a place that had mold or other things make you sick?  If so how did it affect your health?  Did you have to move?  How did you now it was your environment making you feel off?  Please share your story if you have ever been sick by your home.  I feel some mold in my home is making me very sick and am trying to decide what to do about it.  It is not black mold just green.  I had the home tested and they said the levels were not high or dangerous.  But I still think it is affecting me.

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM

We have black mold under our crawl space, and dh thinks it is making dgd cough. But everything we have done has only made it worse. We had all the duct work replace last year, but it has grown back. We got an estimate yesterday for $25,000.00 to fix it, so I guess we'll just be living with it, lol.

seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Black mold is the worst kind.  They do not even recommend you take your belongings when you move.  It can cause long term health affects to your body.  I hope you can find a way to fix it.  Thank you for saring your story it means a lot.

Quoting elasmimi:

We have black mold under our crawl space, and dh thinks it is making dgd cough. But everything we have done has only made it worse. We had all the duct work replace last year, but it has grown back. We got an estimate yesterday for $25,000.00 to fix it, so I guess we'll just be living with it, lol.

seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM

BUMP!

seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM

We are looking at having to gut the basment and a whole bathroom plus a kitchen.  So yes very expensive.

Quoting elasmimi:

sometimesred
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM

A little mold or mildew in the shower is one thing, but just about anyplace else in the house it needs to be professionally treated, and that always costs a fortune.  Moving is often easier, if you are a renter, if not, it is well worth carrying the mold removal rider on your home owners insurance.

seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Our insurance company said mold removel is not covered under any situation on our policy.  Good thought though.  We are owners.  My husband bought the house before I met him.  We got married and I got sick a little while after moving in.  Then things got worse after I had a baby.    I just do not want to sell and some one else gets sick like me.  But if we tell them it is moldy they will not want to buy.  Or we will get pennies for it and not have any money for a new home.

Quoting sometimesred:

A little mold or mildew in the shower is one thing, but just about anyplace else in the house it needs to be professionally treated, and that always costs a fortune.  Moving is often easier, if you are a renter, if not, it is well worth carrying the mold removal rider on your home owners insurance.

seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM

BUMP!

seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

BUMP!

cocoalover89
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM
We have green mold in master bedroom. It keeps coming back. We clean it as soon as we see signs. I believe it affected my lo's. They had flu like symptoms and coughing. I want to move but I can't find a place I like.
seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Thank you fo sharing your story with me.  Makes me feel better to now it is no all in my head.

Quoting cocoalover89: We have green mold in master bedroom. It keeps coming back. We clean it as soon as we see signs. I believe it affected my lo's. They had flu like symptoms and coughing. I want to move but I can't find a place I like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)