Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you don't use cow's milk, what do you cook with when the recipe calls for milk?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM
  • 20 Replies

I have recently started using almond/ coconut milk. I don't drink milk anyway, but I like it in my coffee, and I use it for cooking. What do you use instead of cow's milk for cooking?

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I use Almond milk.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM

You just add it to the recipe the same as cow's milk, right?  I see almond milk comes sweetened, but I assume you don't use the sweetened in recipes?

Quoting casah4:

I use Almond milk.

casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I use the same amount that the recipe calls for.  I use the original unsweetened for cooking.

Quoting Bmat:

You just add it to the recipe the same as cow's milk, right?  I see almond milk comes sweetened, but I assume you don't use the sweetened in recipes?

Quoting casah4:

I use Almond milk.

angelicmom1984
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends- if it's baking, I'll use sweetened almond. If it's actual cooking like for dinner, I usually use lactose free milk or unsweetened almond.
Moonbabylove
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

For cooking and baking I usually use almond and coconut milk.

For drinks, smoothies, vegan ice creams, shakes, or popsicles I will use flax milk and occasionally hemp milk.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I don't think I've seen flax or hemp milk,  why do you use these for drinking, etc, instead of almond and coconut?

Quoting Moonbabylove:

For cooking and baking I usually use almond and coconut milk.

For drinks, smoothies, vegan ice creams, shakes, or popsicles I will use flax milk and occasionally hemp milk.

seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is in a cookie or cake I use plain almond milk.  If it is in a hamburger helper I use plain soy or just more water.  The almond milk flavor just takes over in dinner type foods.  If I am making mashed potatoes I use swanson chicken stock not broth but stock the one with salt.  It makes the potatoes taste so good that I do not even miss the milk.  I do use earths balance butter which is dairy free so that helps make the potatoes taste good as well.

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
For coffee we use coconut, baking I use flax or rice, smoothies coconut or flax, and plain drinking rice. Same amount as you would cows milk. And I've used both sweetened and unsweetened in all those scenarios... I didn't find it made any difference what so ever. Personally I just prefer to but unsweetened though it's not always available.
mewebb82
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Either unsweetened almond milk or hemp milk

Randi02
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Water or almond milk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN