Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you don't use cow's milk, what do you cook with when the recipe calls for milk?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM
  • 20 Replies

I have recently started using almond/ coconut milk. I don't drink milk anyway, but I like it in my coffee, and I use it for cooking. What do you use instead of cow's milk for cooking?

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I use Almond milk.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM

You just add it to the recipe the same as cow's milk, right?  I see almond milk comes sweetened, but I assume you don't use the sweetened in recipes?

Quoting casah4:

I use Almond milk.

casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I use the same amount that the recipe calls for.  I use the original unsweetened for cooking.

Quoting Bmat:

You just add it to the recipe the same as cow's milk, right?  I see almond milk comes sweetened, but I assume you don't use the sweetened in recipes?

Quoting casah4:

I use Almond milk.

angelicmom1984
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends- if it's baking, I'll use sweetened almond. If it's actual cooking like for dinner, I usually use lactose free milk or unsweetened almond.
Moonbabylove
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

For cooking and baking I usually use almond and coconut milk.

For drinks, smoothies, vegan ice creams, shakes, or popsicles I will use flax milk and occasionally hemp milk.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I don't think I've seen flax or hemp milk,  why do you use these for drinking, etc, instead of almond and coconut?

Quoting Moonbabylove:

For cooking and baking I usually use almond and coconut milk.

For drinks, smoothies, vegan ice creams, shakes, or popsicles I will use flax milk and occasionally hemp milk.

seaturtle1
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is in a cookie or cake I use plain almond milk.  If it is in a hamburger helper I use plain soy or just more water.  The almond milk flavor just takes over in dinner type foods.  If I am making mashed potatoes I use swanson chicken stock not broth but stock the one with salt.  It makes the potatoes taste so good that I do not even miss the milk.  I do use earths balance butter which is dairy free so that helps make the potatoes taste good as well.

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
For coffee we use coconut, baking I use flax or rice, smoothies coconut or flax, and plain drinking rice. Same amount as you would cows milk. And I've used both sweetened and unsweetened in all those scenarios... I didn't find it made any difference what so ever. Personally I just prefer to but unsweetened though it's not always available.
mewebb82
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Either unsweetened almond milk or hemp milk

Randi02
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Water or almond milk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)