Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

in-laws ugh

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:21 AM
  • 2 Replies

I am a new mom my son is 6 months now...My in-laws are very strange people, good people but strange. I gave a lil bit of history on this site with my last posting so long story short mil wants to be super involved?!?! She does not get that husband and wives with their own kids become a family unit independent.

She invites us to her home all the time or her friends homes?? People we do not really know...her was friends have talked to me before as well telling me " you need to come over more spend time with _____ they are not bad people ". Mil has clearly gotten to these people telling them so much her friends ask me SO many questions as well, my in-laws want to know so much they even have spies!!.

We like to spend time with each other over the weekend, we want to raise our own son and do not want him with extended family often. Mil has tried to have my newborn since he was days old getting mad when she could not then calling and yelling at dh... fil would then call and demand answers

If we say no to invites in-laws do not talk to us for a while, if I say no to mil taking son she cries on the shoulders of family who in turn start treating me bad  and talking shit to me on fb making everyone feel terrible for her  "how dare I keep her from her own grandson " acting wounded and battered saying stress made her pass out she'll then have cuts and scabs on her face . Suddenly then mil stops throwing her sad tantrum and act like nothing ever happened inviting us again and hinting over and over that they want to be over for dinner for the first time.

My husband is busy, I am a ( sahm ) we live far from them do not have a great car they want us to come over for hours till late, they all take over the baby till he screams since he does not know them...I am shy so quiet mil takes this personal I of course am trying to cut dh from his foo. We rarely come over so I of course am trying to cut dh's family out ...gets so old 

My mil is even begging now -_- dh is pissed he is tired of mil acting like he should be ready and willing whenever she invites us nd that he should also drag his family with him. Holidays are expected to be spent with them but I want to create our own traditions.

How do you deal with in-laws who will not back off? Are your in laws similar? 

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Mine were pretty good. They often didn't follow my child-raising guidelines, but they didn't insist that we show up all the time. They preferred that we spend holidays there, but didn't raise too much of a fuss if we didn't. I told them that we liked to start our own traditions and that we'd be glad to come up the following weekend, for example.

LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I can't stand my in laws espcially my mil because she is really rude, annoying, nosey and very disrespectful. I tried to advoid mine as much as possblie and tried not to complain too much about them to hubby because he's too blind to see how they really treat me epscailly his mom and he always take her side so I just keep to myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)