Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Midwife vs. OB/GYN

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 21 Replies
I am just over 6 weeks pregnant with my first child (EDD 3.3.15). I am strongly considering an at-home water birth with a midwife, instead of going to a hospital. Thoughts, opinions, and advice would be much appreciated!
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Congratulations!

I can't give you any advice really since all 3 of mine were c-sections, but if I could have had a midwife with the first one, I would have.

ZombieMeat37
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I had a home birth with a mid wife. I wouldn't have changed a thing. I was pretty much left alone to allow my body to do what it does, I wasn't forced to remain lying on my back, I was able to eat and I didn't feel pressured to hurry things along. 

Lnd1225
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I recommend at home with a midwife. I wish I had done that...it was cheaper (because of insurance) to have her in the hospital. I labored at home and my dd was born 5 min after arriving at the hospital but the doctor was an a hole and it ended up  not the way I intended. My first child was induced at hospital and was not pleasant. 

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I had a hospital birth. But if your healthy enough.  No problems with the baby.  Go for it.  It's your choice how you give birth.  Just as long as at least a midwife is there.  Just in case something were to happen.

Sister_Someone
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM

The only way to go for me is OB/GYN and hospital. That's where they keep the good drugs.

ELKmountain.mom
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I have home water births and in my experience it's a far better birth than hospitals.
Congratulations and good luck
booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:38 PM
If that is what you want, go for it. As long as your pregnancy is healthy, you don't need to see a doctor. I would love to have a home birth, but that just isn't an option for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:46 PM
I had a midwife,
Just so you know midwives do hospital and home births. At least here they do. I had a hospital birth and a midwife. I would not have an OB a midwife was awesome.
liveforever
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a midwife in a hospital. I loved it and had a great experience. I couldn't do a home birth, just not something I'm comfortable with.

I'd pick a midwife over an on any day though!
MamaBearEH
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I've seen a family doctor, maternity group, OB, and midwife. I would describe the midwife as facilitating birth, and the others as conducting a delivery. Absolutely nothing even comes close to the superior quality of care I received from the midwife. I would pick a care provider that shares your view of what having a baby should be though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN