Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you let your kids have sleepovers?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM
  • 30 Replies

My 7 y/o has been on several, always knew the parents well, and go to church with most of them. I have a friend whose granddaughter has friends sleep over at her house, but is never allowed to sleep over at friends houses. Now I real an article by Dr. James Dobson who advises against it. Where do you stand on the issue?

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grplovesjlp
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Only people my kids spent the night with are their grandparents. I suppose if I knew the parents very well I may let them stay with a friend and I have no problems letting a friend spend the night with my kids.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes my kids both have and go on sleepovers. It's a normal part of childhood IMO.

vegepunkstr
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Yes my 8 and 6 year old have sleep overs but only if I know the parents pretty well.

vegepunkstr. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

My oldest two have slept over friends house and I have allowed their friends to sleep over my house. I think at the proper age it is okay and as long as I meet the parent and the parent meets me I am fine. My younger children (7 & 3) have never had any type of sleep over and I probably won't allow it until they get much older.

I never understood the thought on parents feeling it's good enough for kids to sleep over their house but their kid not allow to sleep over anyone's house. I would think if you are against it then you are against it.

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Well, I always thought so too, but his point was the increase in child molestation, and that they are in a vulnerable position. It doesn't have to be the parent, could be an older sibling. Made me stop and think.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Yes my kids both have and go on sleepovers. It's a normal part of childhood IMO.

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Yes my 11 yr old has had friends over and him over to there houses.
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My friend works in child protective services, and I guess she has just seen too many bad things. She doesn't trust many people with her grandchild, including my husband if he is alone.

Quoting natural_s:

My oldest two have slept over friends house and I have allowed their friends to sleep over my house. I think at the proper age it is okay and as long as I meet the parent and the parent meets me I am fine. My younger children (7 & 3) have never had any type of sleep over and I probably won't allow it until they get much older.

I never understood the thought on parents feeling it's good enough for kids to sleep over their house but their kid not allow to sleep over anyone's house. I would think if you are against it then you are against it.

DSamuels
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I had many sleepovers, my house and at friends' houses, starting in 3rd grade. My daughter had sleepovers, my granddaughter has them.

I also had both male and female babysitters when I was young. They were neighbors and very good friends with my parents. Nothing ever happened to any of us.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe it's actually increased, it just isn't kept hidden and ignored anymore.

Quoting elasmimi:

Well, I always thought so too, but his point was the increase in child molestation, and that they are in a vulnerable position. It doesn't have to be the parent, could be an older sibling. Made me stop and think.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

MsJoyM
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on who it is. I have experienced stuff as a child at sleepovers so, I know bad things can happen anywhere. Its hard to protect your kid from everything, but if you constantly talk to your kids about what to watch out for as well as let them know you are willing to listen. Let them know they can talk about anything. Boundaries are a good topic.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN