Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Who's really to blame, Amazon or the parents?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM
  • 38 Replies

So I saw on the news that the FTC is suing Amazon on behalf of parents because they claimed that the company made it too easy for children to use their parents' accounts to spend outrageous sums of money without requiring a password. I get that they should've made it harder for kids to buy coins and stuff for the games, but shouldn't it really be on the parents to make sure their kids know NOT to buy stuff without asking and to check up on them as they're playing and such to make sure they didn't do it anyway?

Who's really to blame here, Amazon or the parents?

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Parents in my opinion.

katemckenzie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Parents.
elkmomma
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Both have to take responsibility.  Amazon should have tighter security and Parents should be fully aware of what the hell their kids are doing in the first place.

aj23
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The parents.
My son (who was 6 at the time) bought $100 in coins on Amazon once because he found out my password and used it on the kindle. They send confirmations to the email address so I found out right after it happened and I called them immediately and they refunded all of it. I changed my password and it hasn't happened again. On the computer I have to sign in each time I want to buy something. The settings are there to safeguard the accounts and if the parents have it set up where they can purchase things without needing passwords then its the parents that are to blame. Kids will be sneaky and try things like this but it's up to the parents to make it harder and to pay attention so that it doesn't happen or it's contained when it does happen.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM

The parents 100%. Buying without typing in your password is optional and I keep it turned off for this reason. Are people ever going to start taking responsibility for their own actions again?

vivianchardson
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 4:35 AM

both of them, i think.

if one of  them takes his own responsibility, children won't easily success in doing these things.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:45 AM

The parents. And I hope that the parents required a pw for purchases and the children got hold of the cc and somehow made a new account. Either way it is the parents.

TheSilence
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:49 AM
The kids. They know what they are doing is wrong but do it anyways.
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I think parents.  My daughter has her own amazon account that has no payent information attached to it.  When she wants a book, we buy it with ours and send it to her as a gift.

nebcutie
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:14 AM
The parents..why i think a password is a good thing and do have it set up on my dd kindle for that reason but not because we do not trust her it is set up so she knows when it is spending her game money and when she is spending her account money. I also connected a pre paid card to it so she can not spend anything with out putting money on it. She did not realize she was spending her actual money on a game until she went to buy a book and was out of money. I take that as our fault for not explaining it or going through everything with her more not Amazons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)