Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

when did extra curriculars become so intense?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have three children. Each in something.  My two younger (6&8) goes once a week.  While my older (high school) goes M-F.  Keeps me pretty busy...so I thought.

My brother has 3 kids.  they are in competitive softball.  They travel EVERY WEEKEND through out the year.  Maybe have 5 weekends off for the whole year. And by traveling I am not talking about a hour or so.  I mean a few states away or 4-5 hours away.  How do they handle it?

My dad travels every weekend with my younger sister (high school) for valley ball.  I think they have 2 down months through out the year.

Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?  They all work FT and go non stop all weekend every weekend.  When do you get a brake?  After all the hotels, food, travel expeneses...how do you live lol

DIStickers.com Ticker

by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:40 PM

It is more pressure than I'd like for sure. :(

katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I couldn't do it!
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I think we're definitely in the minority, that sort of commitment is not my cup of tea

my kids are in guitar(ds 11) and gymnastics dd(8)

i've told them both they can only do one e.c at a time

dd wants to do more gymnastics but i'm dragging my feet 

two of the gals i work with are like that with their boys, then they complain that they don't have any time to themselves, well it's your time, make it, say no

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Wow I couldn't handle that! I don't know how they do it. I'd be exhausted!

marblesnuk
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

My youngest DD plays comp softball. We aren't as intense as your brother. We do only get a handful of weekends off yearly but we usually only travel about 2 hours away on most weekends. We do big travel only about every 2-3 months. We are actually heading to play in nationals that are being held in Tennesse on Thursday- we are from California.

I often joke that we are softball broke. On the few times that we are off on the weekends we actually miss being in a tournament lol.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM

There is a little boy across the street who is 9 and plays baseball.

He has a little sister who is 7--she does not play ball.

at first I wondered why, then I realized that there's no time to schedule her in for anything...they are traveling ALL The time for the boy.  No time to ride bikes, come over and swim, spend the night and watch movies in the backyard...

Constantly go go go to her brother's games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN