Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moms with all boys

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM
  • 187 Replies
4 moms liked this
I have noticed among some parents with all boys that they (not all) do not like for their sons to play with girls or even touch girl toys.

I personally do not see the big deal at all but I have had to confront parents about this situation with my son because I have 4 daughters and he plays with his sisters all the time and while he doesnt like things like dress up with them lol he will play with their dolls when his sisters ask him to, just like they play with his cars and wrestle with him.

I guess I just want to know is this normal or is it a parents insecurity??
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:14 PM
8 moms liked this

I have 3 boys and we still had dolls and "girl" stuff in the house when they were more into toys. My youngest's FAVORITE toy for years was a Rainbow Brite Doll and his lovey blanket is a pink Alice in Wonderland blanket... my oldest DS (12) just spray painted his bike and helmet pink.....my dad had a hissy fit but I dont care. He likes it and thats fine with me.

5shadesofluv
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this
thank you so much for your response! I think its a great thing that you are allowing them to express themselves :) As a parent I think its important to give them space to discover who they are, what they like and do not like
funhappymom
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's just the way some parent. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong. 

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Why did you have to confront them? What did they do?

Maime13
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't have all boys, but I did have 3 boys and my last is a girl. My boys have always been free to like what they like. My oldest had sparkly girl shoes and a Barbie by the time he was 2 or 3. My second son has always loved fashion and played video games that would be considered by some to be "girly". So many more examples.

People like what they like and don't like what they don't like. It isn't gender specific.

-Kney-
by Courtney on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM
3 moms liked this
I have 2 boys right now (8 & 1) I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant hoping for a girl

Well even tho my boys don't have girl toys I will let them play with them. My youngest had my old baby doll from when I was little he likes to carry around a couple of times so I'm gonna get him a few baby dolls for his birthday/Christmas but my oldest hasn't really shown interest in any girl toys but that's mostly cause of his father

I had a friend on FB that flipped out cause his ex let his 2 boys play with a doll I told him he was overreacting it's okay for girls to play with boys toys but it's not for boys to play with girl toys
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this
I have all boys but my sister was 5 years old when I had my first child. So we had girl toys in the house .None of my kids showed any interest in her toys.

When my oldest son was three I got him a kitchen. I got a lot of rude comments but I think it's stupid to consider a play kitchen as a girl toy.
buttercup24
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I have to boys and their first friends were girls. They had a my little pony party last year for their bday. My youngest sons favorite pillow is pink and his favorite blanket is zebra. We have frozen, my little pony, and doc mcstuffin toys. My boys know it's ok to like whatever they like even if it's considered to be girly.
5shadesofluv
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LancesMom:

Why did you have to confront them? What did they do?

I have had to confront them because we had a dinner party and one of my husbands friends has 2 boys and when they seen my son playing princess with his sisters they acted like it was a big deal and made remarks about how they dont allow their boys to do things like that and I should watch out for him being feminine or something smh

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Not here. My middle was obsessed with Dora and had TWO Dora-themed bday parties. He's definitely "all boy" now. The kid lives for mud, bugs, destroying things, and climbing trees.

My oldest used to have this kitchen set and would play "bakery" with the neighbor girls. He's pretty sensitive, but isn't a girly man (yes, I said that with my Arnold voice).

My youngest has never liked girl stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN