Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old was your LO when you stopped BFing?

Posted by   + Show Post

So i have two questions. 
1) At what age did you stop breastfeeding 
2) How did your baby let you know they were ready to stop breastfeeding? 

I keep getting asked when im going to stop breastfeeding, my DD is approaching nearly 4 months but neither me or her are ready to stop yet. I was thinking about a year old. Just wondering if your baby let you know or if you just decided to stop.

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome! Good for you :) 

Quoting MsJenkins304:

3.5 years

emp576
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM
I breastfed my daughter for a year, but I pumped and bottle fed her so when I was ready to stop, I just put regular whole milk in her sippy cup. She didnt even notice the change! Now with my son, I bottle fed him breast milk in a bottle for 3 months and decided it would be easier to let him latch. It is becoming harder and harder to wean him, because he uses me as a pacifer and its comforting. If you arent ready to stop, thrn don't, but I will say the longer you breastfeed the harder it is to wean them.
woolftwo
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:33 PM

My son got only breast milk until he was 6 months. He was 10 lbs at birth and was gaining weight so well his doc said he didn't need anything else. Everyone use to fuss at me for that, but I didn't let it bother me. He did just fine and is very healthy. He weaned himself completely at 2½ years old.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Why in the world are they asking that at 4 months? Until a year, breastmilk is all babies need.
I haven't weaned either yet, ds is 2, dd is almost 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:20 AM
1. 12mo I was misguidedly advised to stop at 12
2. 18mo
3. 16mo
4. 7mo and counting

My others just tapered off until they only wanted cups, except #4
BIMOM21
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:24 AM
3 months.
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Still nursing at 21 months, here. I'm sure my daughter will let me know when she is done, but I don't foresee her stopping any time soon. Great job nursing your little one. Tell people it shouldn't concern them how you feed your infant, if they hassle you about it. :)
squeakers2
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:08 AM
My first would not latch. We tried everything we knew to try to get her to but she just wouldn't. The first 5 days of her life she would only latch for the most 30 seconds a few times a day. I finally couldn't take it anymore and pumped for her. She got strictly breast milk until my supply dropped at a month, then I supplemented with formula until 3 months when I completely lost my supply. I blamed myself for the longest time. Especially after she was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis at 18 months and the research I did showed it could have possibly been prevented if I just could have got her to breastfeed. It pushed me to do everything in my power to breastfeed my son. He breastfed for 18 months. By that time, he was mainly nursing at night for comfort, and I was so wore down from it, I just said enough was enough. The kids went on vacation with my mom and when they came back, I just didn't offer it. He asked a few times, but wasn't completely heartbroken about stopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
april_fooler
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Backwards thinking?

Quoting booaura: Why in the world are they asking that at 4 months? Until a year, breastmilk is all babies need. I haven't weaned either yet, ds is 2, dd is almost 6 months.

april_fooler
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Good for you!

Quoting schultzal: Still nursing at 21 months, here. I'm sure my daughter will let me know when she is done, but I don't foresee her stopping any time soon. Great job nursing your little one. Tell people it shouldn't concern them how you feed your infant, if they hassle you about it. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN