Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old was your LO when you stopped BFing?

Posted by   + Show Post

So i have two questions. 
1) At what age did you stop breastfeeding 
2) How did your baby let you know they were ready to stop breastfeeding? 

I keep getting asked when im going to stop breastfeeding, my DD is approaching nearly 4 months but neither me or her are ready to stop yet. I was thinking about a year old. Just wondering if your baby let you know or if you just decided to stop.

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
themomof3boys
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:46 AM
My oldest never breastfed, my middle till he 4 months old and my youngest till he was 2 1/2.
cntrdmom
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:48 AM
6 weeks. Preemie
14ml. I was pregnant and needed to stop.
Just shy of 2.
annie82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM
4 months for my first baby because I was ignorant and imagined I was running out of milk...
7 months for my second I returned to work full time when he was 6 months, I planned to formula feed for the feeds I was working and Breast for when I was with him. That resulted in him wanting to feed all night long and I couldn't keep up doing that and working so we switched to formula.
My last baby I had a goal to get to 12 months her birthday was 4/3 and we were doing great I had no plans to wean immediately just was waiting for her que unfortunately her brother got very very sick on 4/21 and we were transferred to an icu unit 2 1/2 hours away... I'd fed her that morning and left for 4 days coming back to a baby that had no interest in me.... So that was it.... We were weaned :(
mylilprincesses
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM
With my youngest I only made it 8 Months before supplementing got in the way
MsJenkins304
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Aw, thank you:)

Quoting jconney80:

That's awesome! Good for you :) 

Quoting MsJenkins304:

3.5 years

jessnursemom
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I nursed my daughter until she was a little over 3 years old. She still just quit on her own.  We co-slept and at the end she really only nursed a little at night. Then that dwindled to nothing.  She is 7 now.  Im pregnant and I'm going to be breastfeeding this one as long as he/she wants.

WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM

My daughter was four months. I wasn't ready to stop and I don't think my daughter was either. But my doctor put me on some medication that wouldn't allow me to continue.

I am happy to say since I do have a pre existing medical condition that I surpassed my personal goal.

notyethome1985
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM

My DD was two months. She started teething and couldn't latch on my breasts too well. 

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

My DD weaned herself at 13 months, she just stopped rooting for the breast, started sleeping through the night on her own, and only wanted table foods. I pumped BM for about two more months in her cup, then switched to cow milk. My DS was 18 months old when he weaned, and it was the same, he wanted more table foods and stopped trying to nurse. I basically just did the "don't ask, don't offer" weaning. If they didn't ask for it, I stopped offering it, and eventually my milk dried up. I plan to do the same thing this time around, the baby can have the breast as long as they want it.

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM
My oldest 2 were 6 weeks, different "medical" reasons but both because of what I now know was horrible advice. My youngest was 9 months and self weaned. He just suddenly started refusing to nurse at certain times of the day and when his weight started dropping I had to start supplementing with formula. He has always had weight issues though and we are finally doing metabolic testing. Honestly, I wish I had followed my gut instead of the advice of others with all my children and pushed to keep nursing longer and get my youngest the medical help I knew he needed a long time ago. My best advice is to do what you feel is best and nurse until you and he are done, not when others say you should be done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)