Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old was your LO when you stopped BFing?

Posted by   + Show Post

So i have two questions. 
1) At what age did you stop breastfeeding 
2) How did your baby let you know they were ready to stop breastfeeding? 

I keep getting asked when im going to stop breastfeeding, my DD is approaching nearly 4 months but neither me or her are ready to stop yet. I was thinking about a year old. Just wondering if your baby let you know or if you just decided to stop.

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Replies (51-58):
Mamacitta
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome!!!! My guy is eight months when peeps are like when u gonna quit I'm like " neverr" he loves my big bouncy over sized boob!!!! If u can do it " do it !!!!" You are blessed. Although my little guy will never takes bottle anymore it's " my " time with him and he likes it so " whatever!!!! "
Cass84
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Where/how did you get that done? Never knew that was possible!

Quoting Mrs_Snail: I stopped when my baby was 40 days old after the analysis of my breast milk that showd almost nothing nutritive in it.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Yeah that sounds like something that they used to say in the 50's. I have never heard of any test like that. If a Dr said that they were obviously sadly very uneducated.

Quoting Cass84: Where/how did you get that done? Never knew that was possible!
Quoting Mrs_Snail: I stopped when my baby was 40 days old after the analysis of my breast milk that showd almost nothing nutritive in it.

MarriedYoung
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:57 PM
DD- 3 months. She started refusing the breast and just wanting the bottle and slept thru the night
DS- about 10 months. I weaned him off to where he only got it at night. Then he started only waking up once so I kept a small bottle ready and he was happy with it.
UmiFujii
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:35 AM

With my first I was pressured to stop at 7 months by his Dad. I was pregnant with number two then and he thought it would be bad for me and the baby. At 9 months old, my first got bilateral pneumonia and his pediatrician in the hospital told me his best chance for recovery was if I could breastfeed him. I was issued a pump and began feeding him and pumping after to bring milk quickly. My son recovered after 2 weeks in the hospital and I continued to nurse him until his brother was born. He was able to drink from a cup at that point (12 months). My longest was 3 years. She had allergies to almost every food we tried so the Pediatrician said breast milk for her first year and slowly add a new food every couple months. She is fine now and weaned easily.

ChristineTate
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Before I started breastfeeding I set an endpoint of whenever she got teeth.  I figured that would give us 4-6 months of breastfeeding time.  She didn't get her first tooth until 13 months!  By then, she was well onto other foods too and really didn't mind the transition.

cox3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM
About 26 months. I was dobe and by that point we weren't doing it exclusively so I kist stopped.
EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM

After a few months a baby needs to have some solid food added to the diet.  After a year there is no more health benefit to breastfeeding.  How can you tell your baby is not ready if he or she doesn't talk?  I stopped arbitrarily on my daughter's first birthday because there was no more benefit.  I had also used bottles for the times when her dad was caring for her and I was at work.  He enjoyed being close to her as well.  You can always cuddle your baby without feeding, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN