Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

car seats

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM
  • 19 Replies
My LO is big enough to be in a high back booster but still fits the 5 point harness as well. She has figured out how to climb out of both no matter what I do or how tight I buckle her. It's starting to be unsafe and she has no sense of danger. I've tried discipline when she escapes, praising when she actually does stay, explaining the dangers, nothing helps. She's very headatrong! It's getting to the point I'm afraid to take her anywhere...even daycare so i can work! Help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeachQuean
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM

In that case I'd just switch to the booster seat. My kids all started the boosters as soon as they were heavy enough for one, one was 5 and the other was like 6 yrs old. My kids were all small. lol 

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this
If she has no sense of danger, she needs to remain harnessed. Boosters are for kids that are at least four and forty pounds and mature enough to ride without slouching out of position or messing with the seatbelt. Make her earn the right to ride in a booster by behaving in the harness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM
How old is she? She should remain harnessed. Make sure it's tight, she shouldn't be able to get out.

Most laws are 4 and 40.
Retrokitty
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Mobile Photo

You say you tighten it,

Is it as tight as the above picture? Is the chest clip at arm pit level?
augsmom
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM

She should not be able to get out of a five point unless she is unbuckling it.  Is she unbuckling it?

eirejade
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Yes it is that tight and armpit level...she can slide it down and loosen the straps herself...too smart for her own good!

Quoting Retrokitty:

Mobile Photo

You say you tighten it,

Is it as tight as the above picture? Is the chest clip at arm pit level?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eirejade
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM
She slide the clip down and loosens the straps herself

Quoting augsmom:

She should not be able to get out of a five point unless she is unbuckling it.  Is she unbuckling it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM
I would keep her in the five point because she'll just have an easier time slouching out of a booster. I wonder if there are any ways to make the chest clip stay still. I know when the strap gets a bit twisted its really hard to move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
augsmom
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM

How is she loosening the straps?  I can see the slide clip being able to be slid down.  Maybe the straps are to old/have been washed to much that the release button (the button that you usually have to push that is down between thier knees) isn't even holding anymore?  I worked at a dirty daycare and she washed and dried the straps on hers so much that the seat became unsafe.  I have four five point boosters in my car and have never had a kid to get out.  (BUT THEY ARE SLIPPERY LITTLER SUCKERS)!!!  :)

eirejade
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Once she slips the clip down she takes the straps off her shoulders by wiggling and adjusting. She can press the button that releases the straps and just pressing and leaning forward is enough to loosen them for her to climb up and out

Quoting augsmom:

How is she loosening the straps?  I can see the slide clip being able to be slid down.  Maybe the straps are to old/have been washed to much that the release button (the button that you usually have to push that is down between thier knees) isn't even holding anymore?  I worked at a dirty daycare and she washed and dried the straps on hers so much that the seat became unsafe.  I have four five point boosters in my car and have never had a kid to get out.  (BUT THEY ARE SLIPPERY LITTLER SUCKERS)!!!  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)